PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Logbooks

Matty Cooper
15th Feb 2013, 13:15
Firstly apologies as this question has probably been asked countless times.

Anyway, I would like some advice on which logbook would be the better choice in purchasing, I am currently hour building with the aim of going commercial so I decided to buy a better logbook than the one I got while training for my PPL.

The question is there's two versions of the logbook I was looking at, the JAR version and the non JAR version, I was wondering which one would be more beneficial as the JAR version has a much simpler layout but it's not very clear when it comes to the multi engine section at all, while the non-JAR version has much more detail on the multi engine section.

Here are the links:
Non-JAR Version - Log Books | Commercial Log Books | NLB035 | 3. Pooleys Non-JAR Commercial Pilots Log Book (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=39)
JAR Version - Log Books | Commercial Log Books | NLB030 | 2. Pooleys JAR-FCL Personal Flying Log Book - NEW EDITION (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=40)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Localiser
16th Feb 2013, 10:10
Starting out, as you are, I would go down the electronic logbook route 100%. I use one now and have done for 4 years. However, my previous 8 years airline flying and 5 years private flying before that are still on paper. Getting them all entered is on my 'To do' list, I'll manage to get it done one day.

I'm not much of an advocate for technology for 'technologies sake' but genuinely, flying day to day, an electronic logbook makes your life easier. Entering flights is a 30 second job on each sector (on my iPhone which then syncs wirelessly with my computer when back home). Hours summaries are easy etc.

I use LogTen Pro - there's plenty of others, but not much between them I don't think. Good luck.

Pontius
17th Feb 2013, 03:23
I use both a paper and an electronic logbook. I know the CAA are slowly coming into the 20th Century but they used to hold the view that electronic logbooks were the Devil's work and wouldn't accept them. Nowadays they have a better attitude but it is still a lot easier presenting them with a paper version if you ever need to go to the CAA HQ.

The great thing about the electronic logbooks is just being able to 'ask' for the info you require and it being presented quickly and accurately. With this in mind, as a paper version I use the CAA's logbook (CAP 407), which doesn't have a bizzillion columns for multi this, single that but a nice clean layout. If I want to know how many multi hours I have, a quick trip into the electronic logbook and Robert is my Father's brother.

If the choice were only between the two logbooks you've offered I would go for the non-JAR version because it is more logically laid out.

Finally, don't go getting too wound up about the 'correct' logbook for commercial flying. So long as the required information is recorded you could log your flying in a diary if you so wished, so don't necessarily believe the guy with the 25 gold stripes and every gadget known to man in his 'airline pilot' flight bag, who tells you you must get a specific commercial book. Do so, by all means if you wish but if you really wanted to keep your PPL-type going then fill your boots (but do make sure it records all the bits required by the CAA/JAR/EASA/Ministry of Magic, or whatever we're calling them this week.

AOJM
17th Feb 2013, 07:53
Also looking for the same. I like the electronic logbook idea but I don't have the hours or funds to see off £54.99. I feel like an EASA CPL logbook might even come out pretty soon but until then I'm not sure on which one to go for either.

Whopity
17th Feb 2013, 09:57
Starting out, as you are, I would go down the electronic logbook route 100%.Meanwhile on the Military Aircrew forum there is a thread (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/507893-what-your-log-book.html)where a load of old boys are nostalgically trying to decipher their old logbooks. Alas, you will never be able to enjoy that aspect of aviation!

pfeinstein
1st Mar 2013, 15:15
I really like the look and feel of a "real" logbook, and see how the pages turn dogeared over time. If you're not the nostalgic type, go electronic and you won't miss a single minute of flight...