PDA

View Full Version : Which PPL exam to take next

geekyflyer
13th Feb 2013, 09:57
Hey guys, any advice on which PPL exam to take next? I'm a very low hour student (only 4hrs, haven't been lucky with the weather) but I've already completed three subjects, Air law, Met and Human factors. I had a quick read through the navigation book and found it very interesting so I was thinking of studying that next. I've read posts were they left this subject till the end as the extra flying hours helps them with navigation. I've asked my instructor and he said he doesn't see this as an issue. What are your views on this? Should I go ahead study nav or should I pick another subject? Thanks!

Heston
13th Feb 2013, 11:09
Its not a big deal. If you find nav interesting to learn then go for it.

The only thing to watch with the nav exam is that although its multiple choice like the others, you do have to work things out on the chart and with the whiz wheel/triangle of velocities to a dgree of precision that is quite challenging (probably more precise than you need in the real world, in my view). A further twist is that some questions rely on you having got the answer right to an earlier question - so if things don't make sense then you'll need to go back and check.

As with the other exams there's plenty of time though.

Best of luck

gemma10
13th Feb 2013, 11:27
If you haven`t already done it, get your medical done next. :ok:

piperarcher
13th Feb 2013, 13:39
I think because you're getting through the exams quite quickly, I'd do something like 'Aircraft Technical' so you can learn more about the machine you're flying. Personally I'd skip Navigation until you're out of the circuit, and you can appreaciate what you are learning.

NAV (in my experience) was something best learned alongside real navigation planning and/or groundschool with your instructor. Having someone show how the dreaded whizz-wheel works is probably easier than trying to work it out by reading a book alone. As mentioned before, the exam relies upon you getting your early initial calculations right, and understanding how all the different parts of planning work holistically works better when applying it in the air to see whether your figures worked out or not, then refining it on the ground.

PS, when you get to that stage, I'd buy a electronic flight calculator (or an phone / app version), to sanity check, or help eliminate the errors you may encounter with the whizz-wheel.

trident3A
13th Feb 2013, 14:11
You've done the worst one (airlaw) already so I'd say just crack on with them in whatever order you fancy - get your medical so you're ready to go solo

geekyflyer
13th Feb 2013, 16:23
Thanks all for all the feedback.
Heston... great. I'll sure work out some mock exams/problems before taking the exam. Piper's suggestion to get an app to double check your calcuations sounds like a good idea.
Piper... a higher hour student gave me similar advice. However I haven't yet bought the book for Aircraft general/flight planning. The nav calculations seem simple enough and the wizz wheel doesn't look like rocket science so I might pick Nav after all... if I find it too hard I might rethink my decision.
Gemma... yep you're right. never really thought I could fail the medical test (I'm only gonna do class 2), but you never know so I should sort it out soon!
Trident... agree, airlaw was a pain. I've always had trouble with memory type exams. I did that subject first thinking if I manage airlaw I should be ok for the rest!