PDA

View Full Version : Rebate on fines for multiple infringements?

Steve6443
11th Feb 2013, 12:22
reading the latest CAA Prosecutions (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/503/AnnualProsecutionResultsfrom01042011to31032012.pdf) I noted that the same plane infringed the Stansted TMZ twice, but with different pilots in command. In the first instance, one plane had to be vectored clear, the Pilot was fined £1000. In the second instance, two incoming and one outgoing plane had to be vectored clear, the pilot was also charged with failing to produce a permit to fly and failing to produce a pilot's licence. His fine: £500.....

Makes you wonder that if he hadn't been able to produce insurance, a valid certificate of airworthiness or caused, say, 5 aircraft to be vectored away from him, maybe he would have only been fined £200.....:ugh:

PS: apologies if this has already been covered....

soaringhigh650
11th Feb 2013, 12:39
In the UK court system, a percentage of the individual's weekly income determines the fine.

mad_jock
11th Feb 2013, 12:57
There isn't such a thing as uk court system. The caa can't take you to court in Scotland

ShyTorque
11th Feb 2013, 12:57
A percentage of the weekly income? These were obviously professional footballers... :}

DocG
11th Feb 2013, 17:02
A percentage of the weekly income? These were obviously professional footballers...Not if the applicable rate is 150%.

Level Attitude
11th Feb 2013, 20:09
Controller observed on radar an unknown aircraft tracking northwest through Stansted Transponder Mandatory Zone 2.
Two passenger aircraft inbound to Stansted and one outbound passenger flight were in potential conflict with
the unknown aircraft. Mode S interrogation showed that the aircraft registration was G-CGJN.

As 2 way radio communication is not required, and aircraft obviously had
a working transponder why was this flight followed up - what did pilot
do wrong (initially)?

No mention of infringing any controlled airspace so why was there a
"potential conflict" with any passenger jets?

Contacttower
11th Feb 2013, 22:11
There isn't such a thing as uk court system. The caa can't take you to court in Scotland

Yep different legal system in Scotland...

Why does that mean the CAA can't prosecute in Scotland though?

mad_jock
11th Feb 2013, 22:35
Only the proc fiscal can bring criminal charges to court. They also do this as a public service so you don`t get expenses awarded against you only the penalty that the court awards.

So if the court awards a 50 quid fine but it cost the caa 4k they don`t get a penny back.

riverrock83
12th Feb 2013, 12:39
Well - technically you can do a private prosecution in Scotland - but it has to be special circumstances, sanctioned by the High Court, and there were only something like 2 of them allowed in the whole of the 20th Century!
See here (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/woman-loses-attempt-to-bring-private-prosecution-judges-reject-move-on-rape-case-1.677607) someone failing to get permission.

The CAA prosecuting would technically be a private prosecution - so its not happening.

gasax
12th Feb 2013, 15:38
Well I think Level Attitude has a very valid point.

You can access the TMZ with a transponder - no ATC permission is required. The aircraft obviously had a working transponder, mode S at that (so how was it an 'unknown aircraft?) - so what was the prosecution for?

Interestingly it looks like it was father and son who were 'done'!

10W
12th Feb 2013, 16:15
Was the transponder on whilst within the TMZ, or was it only working prior to, or after exiting, the TMZ ?

Was it deliberately switched off perhaps ?

Alternatively, perhaps he wasn't displaying Mode C.

I am sure the full court judgement would provide the answer.

riverrock83
12th Feb 2013, 17:13
£500 fine for no Permit to Fly, no Pilots licence and an airspace infringement which was presumably because he didn't have "ALT" set so no Mode C. Thats what - 5 hours flying time in an RV-7 ?

Might be cheaper to just not do a permit renewal, or any checks or maintenance.

Mind you - I'm sure there are other reasons to do the checks and the maintenance...

'Chuffer' Dandridge
12th Feb 2013, 19:33
Interestingly it looks like it was father and son who were 'done'!

Brothers actually

The500man
13th Feb 2013, 09:37
I flew back into the zone with a Farnborough squawk once. Airfields in the zone have a code - I think it was 7010 or something like that - which makes you easily identifiable to the Stansted controllers. Anyway I phoned the tower after landing and the radio operator said he hadn't had a phone call, which I took to mean Easyjet didn't just pay a few thousand quid extra on fuel to fly orbits while I was in the way! So it was all good. I know others that have received a right bollocking for similar stuff.

The cost of infringement fines is frightening stuff!