PDA

View Full Version : A320 vs B737

CanadianAirbusPilot
7th Feb 2013, 00:36
Hi Everyone,

The company I am flying for is going to eventually replace their narrowbody fleet with either the 320NEO or 737Max.. I am an Airbus guy who loves the Airbus philosophy but am really curious about what the 737 has to offer from a pilots prospective rather than a bean counter's. While I am really interested to hear from guys and gals who have flown both all input is welcome!

Some questions I do have about the 737...

Does it have an "ICAS" that is equal to that of the ECAM you find in the bus? How well integrated is it?

While the flight deck looks small is there actually a decent amount of room for the pilots (I am 6'5")? Is there room in the flight deck for both your suitcase and a large overnight bag? I assume your flight bag sits beside you like in the bus...

How does she fly? I know the philosophy is so different between the two that it's hard to compare but does she fly pretty good with all the "magic" turned off? Easy plane to make good landings and impress the ladies?

And for light reading?

Do you spill your coffee as you pick it up past the yoke? Also is the yoke annoying on 5-6 hour legs?

With the yoke in the way is it easy to put your feet up (are their foot holders like the bus)?

Anyhow I just got in from a pairing and am siting at home without the miss so I figured I'd look into my questions... Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Cheers

misd-agin
7th Feb 2013, 13:31
EICAS? No. Think 1960's, 727, and you'll recognize the EICAS/ECAM system.

Hand flying? Nice.

Landing? Nice, except for flaps 40. Everyone will be humbled. Some are humbled by F40 a lot of the time but no one will always escape the wrath of F40.

6'5". You'll miss the A320 the second you walk into the 737 cockpit and it WON'T get better with time.

Bag in the cockpit? Yes. Bags? Good luck.

Legs up? Sure. Like the A320? No.

Is the yoke annoying? Nah, unless you flew Airbus'. Then it will drive you nuts. :sad:

CanadianAirbusPilot
7th Feb 2013, 15:50
EICAS? No. Think 1960's, 727, and you'll recognize the EICAS/ECAM system.

Ok, I know it's a very similar common type to the 732's but was curious when they went to glass if they included Boeings newer generation EICAS or not.

Hand flying? Nice.

Nice to hear.

Landing? Nice, except for flaps 40. Everyone will be humbled. Some are humbled by F40 a lot of the time but no one will always escape the wrath of F40.

Awesome. I fly on a competitor a fair bit and it seems the 737 lands more like a shopping cart. But that is from the self loading cargo's point of view.

6'5". You'll miss the A320 the second you walk into the 737 cockpit and it WON'T get better with time.

I was afraid of this. I suppose the 737 will be better than what I used to fly (Metroliners, King Airs, Dash 8 and RJs.)

Bag in the cockpit? Yes. Bags? Good luck.

No spot behind your seat for your bags? Where do you store it? Enough room in the coat closet for a big jacket for you and the skipper when your destination is -30?

Legs up? Sure. Like the A320? No.

Is the yoke annoying? Nah, unless you flew Airbus'. Then it will drive you nuts.

I've spent a fair bit of time on the Airbus now, and I must say you don't really notice how nice it is going onto it, but many of my friends have mentioned as soon as you leave it you realize how spoiled you were.

Anyhow thanks Misd-agin....

One more question, what are some of the positives of the 737 vs mini-bus? I hear guys who fly it some are very happy with it.

Cheers

Matey
7th Feb 2013, 16:56
I love it....the Company like the economics and it pays my mortgage. Anything else is by the by! Never flown an Airbus though, just 33 years of Boeing, so maybe a bit biased.

flyingchanges
7th Feb 2013, 17:09
Buy the 320, more 737 for us:ok: