PDA

View Full Version : Round the world in a light aircraft

Contact Approach
6th Feb 2013, 22:28
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think it would cost to circumnavigate the world in a light single?

CA

Mark 1
7th Feb 2013, 03:33
It can vary enormously. I've played with the idea and can offer a few pointers.

Preparing aircraft: Full IFR and HF radio (compulsory for ocean flying), ferry tank for 2000nm + reserve (unless you cross the pacific round the northern rim - raises lots more problems). You'll lose half your seats to fuel and equipment. Autopilot would be a very good idea.

Overflight/landing permits - you could in theory do it yourself, but an agency would probably charge £50-100 per country.

Fuel for 20-25,000 nm would need special arrangements and high costs for some parts of the world to get Avgas. Maybe £3/litre average. Jet fuel is much less of a problem.

Landing and handling. Lots of frightening tales of rip-off prices, maybe a few hundred per stop in Asia and the sub-continent or anywhere outside mainstream N.America and Europe.

Hotels and taxis. It depends what you're prepared to put up with. You can research options in most places - trip advisor etc.

Personal equipment - raft, jackets, PLB, immersion suit, flares. Some of that can be rented or sold afterwards.

Insurance - very few people are interested in insuring you and those that do charge accordingly. Do you want minimum liability, passenger, hull....? maybe £5-10,000.

Have a look at the earthrounders web site. You may be able to make contact with people who have real experience. My guess is £40K would be a good starting point assuming you already have the aircraft.

RatherBeFlying
7th Feb 2013, 03:39
The landing fees will make your eyes water.

Hint: Route Alaska - Russia - Finland. At first stop, load up on vodka. Hand one out to each airport kommandant and the fuel truck guy:E You will be well looked after as long as your papers are in order;)

Do not exit through Byelorussia. There was a little misunderstanding when the air force was not notified by the government that overflights from a nearby balloon contest were allowed -- one balloon was shot down:mad:

Finicky piston engines might not like the local gas.

rapidshot
7th Feb 2013, 05:56
a rough guess depending on my flights , total 3200 nm in 12 legs , rotax 100 hp with weight 550- 600 kg, the cost should be around 1.5-2 USD per nautical mile including ground handling, accomodation, fuel etc

Liobian
7th Feb 2013, 14:19
I cannot tell you, but why not ask a man who has done it ?

Try the contact link in here ....

Chasing the Morning Sun - The Plan (http://www.chasingthemorningsun.com/home_page.htm)

A fascinating chap to listen to should you get the chance.

Good luck