– Performance,
– Flight Planning and Monitoring,
– Human Performance,
– Meteorology,
– General Navigation,
– Radio Navigation,
– Operational Procedures,
– Principles of Flight,
– Visual Flight Rules (VFR) Communications.

Theoretical knowledge for the IR(A):

— Air Law,
— Aircraft General Knowledge – Instrumentation
— Flight Performance and Monitoring,
— Human Performance,
— Meteorology,
— Radio Navigation,
— IFR Communications

What I fail to understand is, are the common exams such as Air Law, Meteo,HP etc repeated for CPL and IR or if the CPL exams are completed are those subjects credited towards the IR.

S-Works
7th Feb 2013, 07:15
No cross credit but pretty much the same content. Most people I know do both at the same time.

Lightning Mate
7th Feb 2013, 07:41
but pretty much the same content

No. The CPL depth of knowledge requirement is greater and the syllabus contains study areas not required for the IR.

S-Works
7th Feb 2013, 12:19
No its not. I have done the CPL/IR and ATPL exams so do actually have direct experience. There is little extra in the CPL exams that are not in the IR exams that with a small amount of extra effort you will be able to cross feed the knowledge.

Even the ATPLS were not that much of a leap.

cdmvt
7th Feb 2013, 13:05
Thanks got it now! Bose-x, would you say the studying time for the CPL/IR are considerably less than what is required for the ATPLs? (I understand the limitations in future of the cpl/ir vs atpl)

Can't find many places that do an approved course full-time or distance learning. So far I've found GTS Groundschool (http://www.gtserv.co.uk/)

Any recommendations?

S-Works
7th Feb 2013, 14:21
I did the CPL/IR Exams in 3 months from start to finish. I took a year to do the ATPL exams a couple of years later. The CPL/IR is much easier to achieve. I only did the ATPL exams for interest and to cover the HPA requirement for a type rating that I did. I have never wanted to fly multi crew so they were a bit of a waste in reality!!

I used CATS for my exams and the now defunct Bonus for the flying trying. All distance learning and part time.