PDA

View Full Version : Emirates B777 being towed back to the gate at HAM

sprocky_ger
5th Feb 2013, 14:37
After leaving the gate heading for DXB an Emirates B777 stopped at the apron today. Being surrounded by fire fighting vehicles for about half an hour it was towed back to the gate. Anybody having an information on what happened? It is not important for my survival - I am just curious :rolleyes:

k3lvc
6th Feb 2013, 20:13
I've no info but I'm also curious - it killed some time watching developments unfold while I was waiting for my flight

Poire
6th Feb 2013, 22:04
I wasn't there, but I fly the thing.
In all probability, there was an EICAS message related to fire or smoke, or the cabin crew reported smell of smoke or fumes in the cabin. They stopped the airplane and requested the emergency services. A precautionary return to the gate due to an unresolved issue. Standard procedures for these cases.

We will know more about it soon.

Burnie5204
7th Feb 2013, 20:52
I dont know the circumstances of this but I've seen a similar situation to the one mentioned above a couple of times at work.

In strong(ish) winds, if the aircraft gets pushed 'tail into wind' then on startup the wind can blow the (initially) low speed exhaust back down the engine and trigger the engine fire warnings. Obviously there is no fire but when you get Fire warnings then you cant take the chance that its spurious and so you have to play it safe and get it checked out, hence requesting RFFS attendance and coming back onto stand.