PDA

View Full Version : B747-400 type rating

catch 22
19th Apr 2002, 12:21
I would appreciate feedback on the best places in the U.S. to get an FAA type rating on the 744. If anyone can furnish prices and experiances, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance:)

easondown
19th Apr 2002, 14:32
I think you can do the B747 400 EFIS rating at Eaglejet for around $26,800. www.eaglejet.net

Tight Slot
19th Apr 2002, 15:01
erm, you do want to learn how to take off and land the thing dont you? Not too keen on guys who just want to "fly it at 1500ft at 520kts" near big cities.

Stratocaster
20th Apr 2002, 13:38
Uh ?

Sorry if I rain on your party, but I thought that individuals (I mean folks without an airline job on the type of aircraft they're supposed to learn/review) wouldn't be able to do such type-rating "on their own" anymore...
:confused:

If the MTOW is over a certain weight (can't remember exactly), you're inside the "caution range" and the feds will do some intensive research on you and your past. But I forgot if it also applies to Americans. I guess so...

holden
22nd Apr 2002, 15:40
Used to be $18k at NWA in Minnesota.But after 911,things may have changed somewhat...

catch 22
28th Apr 2002, 06:00
Thanks for all of your replies. I was hoping fpr some actual experiences. Maybe I'll post on another forum.

So far the best I've come up with is Pan Am at NATCO. The course takes 26 days and costs $13,800, which is not bad at all. NWA sims are used.

Stratocaster
28th Apr 2002, 07:21
Is there any restriction, or do they still accept anybody as long as they get the money ?

I'm not interested in the rating, just curious to see what changed in that field since 9/11. Non-US nationals almost get a fully body search ("Bend over" :D) before they can enter the classroom but I don't know if this also applies to Americans.

JJflyer
28th Apr 2002, 16:02
You can still do individual types in US. Some restrictions do apply. You have to be pre approved by Justice Department. This can take up to 45 days to do. Schools can provide further info on this. Helps if you have used a training center before and are an established customer.

Check FSBoeing website, they have all the requirments listed there.

Cheerio