PDA

View Full Version : Headset Leads - Coiled Or Not?

Yellow Son
30th Jan 2013, 16:18
Yes, I'm trying for the most trivial question of all time. Does anyone have any evidence or reason for preferring a particular style of lead? I wouldn't ask except that both are on offer at the same price!

RTN11
30th Jan 2013, 16:38
Non-Coiled

The coiled ones just end up tied in knots, or a few coils loose or tight compared to the others which is annoying.

abgd
30th Jan 2013, 17:01
I just converted my headset to ANR, which I noticed. This involved replacing the coiled lead with a straight one, which in practice seems to make little difference.

Are you going to be packing and unpacking the headset on a regular basis, or will it live in the plane, plugged into the radio? If the former, I'd go for the straight wires which will be easier to stow. If the latter, I might consider coiled.

jez d
31st Jan 2013, 08:07
The rule of thumb is that straight leads are for fixed-wing and coiled for rotary. Coiled for rotary is due to the fact that headset sockets are generally located above one's head.

Whopity
31st Jan 2013, 08:23
A coiled lead is like a spring, it can be a pain in the butt if its under tension and its bulky. Unless you need to take up slack lead to prevent it getting in the way don't buy it.

Basil
31st Jan 2013, 08:50
Fixed wing, mil, public transport and GA only used straight.
Use a little cheapo headset with a coiled lead for radio/music on the Concept II - very light spring and seems OK - but, then, one is only going back and forward :)

Yellow Son
31st Jan 2013, 16:11
:D:D:D:D Consensus appears to be in favour of non-coiled (for me, anyhow - C172).

This has been a fascinating exercise, and is exactly what a forum can be really great for!

POBJOY
1st Feb 2013, 00:13
Coiled or not,i get really wound up when people ram their headsets onto the top coming and scratch the screen !!!! Wallys.

Basil
4th Feb 2013, 17:24
i get really wound up when people ram their headsets onto the top coming and scratch the screen
Oh, yes, or the metal top of a clipboard :mad:

G-OE
6th Feb 2013, 16:36
Why are people getting wound up about coiled leads?

Bad joke outta the way. I use straight leads in pa28 with a clever little device that makes it less dangly. Google for them.

octavian
6th Feb 2013, 19:26
Bose X for fixed wing (twin plug) with a coiled cable works a treat for me in various SEP and MEP. I also have a straight cabled version but don't like it as much.