PDA

View Full Version : Renewing my SEP and TMG ratings

shortstripper
28th Jan 2013, 10:44
Posted in PPL and instructor forums.

I'm looking to renew my ratings which expired in March 2011. I used to keep my SEP and TMG running concurrently and revalidate both by experience and a single check flight. I assume now they have expired, they have to be renewed seperatlely before they can once again be cross credited?

So ...

1. Is this true or is there any way they can be renewed together?
2. When I added a TMG rating to my PPL it was by the "current SLMG rating, then pay the CAA a fee" route. Can I renew it now with a check flight at a BGA club and a SLMG instructor (as I origionally did) or do I now have to seek out a specific TMG examiner (few and far between)?
3. Is there anywhere in East Anglia where I can do my SEP flying a tailwheel aeroplane (I just prefer them)? Not the end of the world if not.
4. I'm not far from Old Buckenham, but £189/hr dual in a C150 seems a bit steep, so is there anywhere else you could recommend?

Thanks, SS

Arclite01
28th Jan 2013, 11:03
SS

Check your PM's

Arc

Whopity
28th Jan 2013, 22:33
Under the new EASA rules you will have to go to a registered or approved school for an assessment of training followed by a Proficiency Check in both TMG and SEP aircraft with an appropriately qualified Examiner. You cannot do a proficiency check with an instructor who is not an examiner, neither can you combine the two tests. Once both are valid you can continue as before.

shortstripper
31st Jan 2013, 19:58
Looking on the BGA website ... It looks like there's only 6 TMG examiners in the whole country!!!!

Whopity
1st Feb 2013, 10:48
That's hardly surprising if you look at the different experience requirements and costs associated with jumping from SLMG to TMG examiner. At least there are twice as many as there used to be.

Prop swinger
1st Feb 2013, 11:33
You can get an NPPL(SLMG) just by flying with an SLMG instructor & when the time comes to EASA-ify your licences get them recombined. (You might want to check that the CAA will be willing to add the TMG rating to an EASA PPL conversion on the basis of an NPPL(SLMG).)

The downside is that without a valid TMG rating your Slingsby hours won't keep the SEP current.

Do you have to do two separate renewal tests or can you do one flight with an examiner with both SEP & TMG ratings?

shortstripper
1st Feb 2013, 12:35
Do you have to do two separate renewal tests or can you do one flight with an examiner with both SEP & TMG ratings?

That's what I'd like to establish?

It seems ridiculous that I added the TMG rating to my licence when I had no Motorglider time, by simply having a one hour check out with a BGA SLMG instructor and sending the CAA £70. Now, having let the rating lapse by less than two years but with over 100 hours TMG time, I have to have a formal test on top of an SEP test. I wouldn't mind, but it is not easy to find a TMG rated examiner though there are plenty of SLMG ones (same aeroplane, different licence).

SS

Whopity
1st Feb 2013, 16:16
That's what I'd like to establish?
It depends on which licence you hold. For a JAA licence, Part FCL states:
FCL.740 Validity and renewal of class and type ratings
(a) The period of validity of class and type ratings shall be 1 year, except for single-pilot single-engine class ratings, for which the period of validity shall be 2 years, unless otherwise determined by the operational suitability data, established in accordance with Part-21.
(b) Renewal. If a class or type rating has expired, the applicant shall:
(1) take refresher training at an ATO, when necessary to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant class or type of aircraft; and
(2) pass a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part.

If you hold a UK non JAA licence the the ANO States:
Maintenance of privileges of aircraft ratings specified in Section 1 of Part B of Schedule 7
in United Kingdom aeroplane and helicopter licences
67 (1) This article applies to United Kingdom aeroplane and helicopter licences:
(2) The holder of a licence to which this article applies is not entitled to exercise the
privileges of an aircraft rating specified in Section 1 of Part B of Schedule 7 which is
included in the licence on a flight unless:
(a) the licence has a certificate of revalidation for the rating;
(b) the certificate is appropriate, issued and valid in accordance with Section 2 of
Part C of Schedule 7;
(c) the holder has undertaken the differences training specified in paragraph
FCL.710 of Part-FCL
(c) Expired Ratings
(ii) If a single-pilot single-engine class rating has expired, the applicant must
complete the skill test in accordance with the requirements specified in
Appendix 9 of Part-FCL.

SEP is one Class rating TMG is another Class rating. Both expired =2 tests!

Joe le Taxi
1st Feb 2013, 18:00
Ive just renewed onto an EASA license, and the SLMG rating disappeared. I think I read that you need to apply for issue of an additional national license to put the SLMG rating on, because there is no such thing in EASA speak...? I dunno if the same applies to TMG ratings?

shortstripper
1st Feb 2013, 19:55
Hi Whopity,

I have an old UK PPL A

I'm pretty sure I having let both ratings lapse that I have to do a proficiency test for both. However, if an examiner is rated for both maybe he can sign for both in one flight? I don't know? In my experience there's not much difference in flying either once you have flown and are used to both. A decent examiner would soon know if you are likely to be safe in either class. I suppose their descretion is far too subjective for EASA land.

I need the TMG rating as my Falke will be on an EASA CofA and therefore I'll need to get an EASA licence to fly it. As I'm likely to want to fly GA too, I will need to renew my SEP as well. If I didn't own a Falke, I'd be tempted to say stuff EASA and just fly LAA types and the Falke on a SLMG.

Now .... where can I find a TMG examiner in East Anglia or nearby?

SS

Whopity
1st Feb 2013, 22:09
maybe he can sign for both in one flight? Not possible because you can't sign off one class in a different class. I don't know of anyone in East Anglia so you may have to travel. There is one at Rufforth and another at Oxford.