PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

Gulfstream757
26th Jan 2013, 08:30
Hi guys
As part of transition year next year on school I will have to obtain work experience preferbelly in a flight school or other aviation related position. I live in the Dublin area so does anyone have any ideas?I was told by one school they don't do it for insurance reasons are they all the same?Thanks

Jude098
26th Jan 2013, 20:56
Hi
Try Dublin Airport or Weston Executive Airport for work experience. They should be used to school work experience programmes. Maybe you careers tutor might have contacts/links with them

oxo
26th Jan 2013, 21:34
Preferbelly?

It's washing up for you boy..

dash6
26th Jan 2013, 21:41
Don't be harsh mate see someeggsamples of spelling from professional flyers on this site!

Flyaways
27th Jan 2013, 09:34
Find your local airport and find out what airlines are based there or have maintenance hangers there. When I was in Year 10 I did work experience with an airline, it was amazing.

Some of the stuff I did:

Inflate the emergency slide
Change some screws on the side
Test some pipes on the slide
Removed bore scope plugs on engines (Not on the aircraft)
Removed bore scope plugs on engines (Which were on the aircraft)
Watched them bring a plane into the hanger twice(Which is pretty amazing to watch)
Remove some bolts so we could remove the blades on the engine
Tested the brake pressure by sitting in the cockpit and pushing the brakes (I didn't have anything to do, so I was looking at the aircraft and some guy asked me if I wanted to help him in the cockpit- Uh, Yeah!!!)
Helped put the first class seats back together
Helped out in the stock room
Took a ride with someone to the hangar next door to collect a part (And I saw the new seats with the entertainment screens in)

That was all in four days. I'd loved to have stayed longer though!

--Edit- I just re-read the list. It might not seem amazing but it's better than it sounds.

mad_jock
27th Jan 2013, 10:41
The engineers always seem better with work experence kids.

Only down side is that if they didn't know how to swear properly before hand they certainly will afterwards.

They can't really do line maint but base maintence there are tons of stuff they can do.

If they go into the offices they don't seem to have as good a time.

Halfbaked_Boy
27th Jan 2013, 18:01
I did mine with Bonus Aviation Engineering which, if you're not familiar, is a light aircraft maintenance organisation.

Mad Jock is right, first day on the job I was goaded into calling my new 'boss' a c**t in Greek!

Did get to sneak aboard the FAAM 146 on one of my lunch hours though :ok:

mad_jock
27th Jan 2013, 18:57
See you learned two very important things on your first day.

1. Don't be gullable and do everything your told.

2. You learned a forgien language.

Halfbaked_Boy
27th Jan 2013, 20:29
Well I seem to remember I did get an 'A' on my report card!

Jude098
27th Jan 2013, 20:58
Cannot resist this Halfbaked_boy..... "first day on the job I was goaded into calling my new 'boss' a c**t in Greek!"......is that how you got your pprine name, lol

Halfbaked_Boy
27th Jan 2013, 23:40
I walked into that one really didn't I! :p