PDA

View Full Version : First night stop - airfield ideas?

ChrisA87
23rd Jan 2013, 16:24
I'm a relatively inexperienced NPPL but am becoming fairly familiar with the South Coast and I'm starting to look at places further afield to visit with intention of staying overnight. (Once we get some half-decent weather :ugh:)

I'm looking at around 2hrs each way from Shoreham, have been playing around with Sky Demon but it would be nice to hear some recommendations from people who have experience at these airfields? Wales would be nice but happy to try anywhere really.

Ideal airfields would have:
1) Good atmosphere
2) Reasonable landing fees
3) Scenic location
4) Somewhere to pitch a tent (or cheap accom nearby)
5) Nearby Pub!

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions! :ok:

Blink182
23rd Jan 2013, 16:47
Obviously depends on your ability and what aircraft you fly........

Would recommend a visit to North Norfolk........ Cromer is a very good destination , with other airfields and strips close by.
Skegness also.
To the SW you have Perranporth , great place with camping very closeby

ChrisA87
23rd Jan 2013, 16:55
Thanks Blink, sorry I neglected to mention it's a C152.

I'm only ~15hrs P1, mostly on a grass strip but becoming increasingly confident on hard.

Am looking into those options now!

AdamFrisch
23rd Jan 2013, 17:37
I used to live in Hastings and flew from Lydd quite a bit. Lydd is a friendly and helpful field, but it's not possible to camp there and the cafe is terrible.

This might be too close and something you've already done, but recommendations in the South East are:

Headcorn - nice vibe there and lots of old aircraft and nutty characters.
Maypole - nice little grass field with a great pub just by.
Spilsted Farm - you need permission from the owner Bob, can probably camp if you ask.
Goodwood - nice big grass field, doubt you can camp, nice cafe, not cheap.

Up towards London I used to go to Damyns Hall quite a bit and that was a nice little field.

jollyrog
23rd Jan 2013, 18:27
Oaksey Park (just South of Kemble) is very nice. Meets most of your criteria. The pub nearby is the Wheatsheaf, which also serves top notch food at sensible prices.

I don't know if you'd be allowed to pitch a tent at Oaksey, but it's a friendly laid back place. Dick is the man in charge, I reckon he'd let you.

You could add a visit to Gloucestershire airport to your trip, it's always worth a look and makes a good alternate in any case.

dawsonj1
23rd Jan 2013, 18:41
Bodmin. Once got stuck here over night when I was an instructor with a student. Town is about 10 mins from airport by taxi and there was a very good Indian restaurant there. Or maybe it tasted better because the student paid!

Jim.

NJTCF
23rd Jan 2013, 18:52
Great Massingham airfield Norfolk. And for food and accommodation the Dabbling Duck which is in the village a short walk from the airfield. Very nice B+B. Also doing evening meals.:ok:

RTN11
23rd Jan 2013, 19:42
Compton Abbas ticks all your boxes.

A and C
23rd Jan 2013, 21:23
As said above Compton Abbas or Cromer ticks all the boxes, I would have a personal preference for Cromer.

What ever you choose have fun !

Blink182
23rd Jan 2013, 21:49
Another candidate........Shobdon
Have let us camp there in the past.........very nice Pub in the village, interesting scenery nearby with no controlled airspace, Hard and Grass runways.

rans6andrew
24th Jan 2013, 08:51
It doesn't tick all of the boxes but I would do Abbeville. It has food, beer and basic accommodation (motel) at the airfield, it is a few Euros to land and free to park overnight. If you must camp, they usually let you do that for free. The location is not really scenic but the sights seen on the flight down the coast or inland in the war cemetry areas make up for this. They have fuel.

The town is a good walk or a short taxi ride and has plenty of choice of food and beer outlets, the library has free internet access. On the way back from the town is a huge hypermarket where you can stock up with those treats (cheeses, wines and a french stick!) which complete the experience.

Rans6...

ChrisA87
24th Jan 2013, 09:49
Thanks for some great suggestions!

Am currently looking at Shoreham -> Compton Abbas then on to either Gloucestershire, Bodmin or Shobdon before returning the following day.

Will definitely have to visit Cromer too.