PDA

View Full Version : Guys Could You Suffer Some More Craziness

Grizzly Adams
22nd Jan 2013, 03:17
Alright guys please try not to flame me if possible.

My last post 2 years ago.

Hey folks I hope you can suffer a newbie question. I'm thinking about selling my house and moving. I own a Maule turbine which is suited for off airport and primitive runway. I bought the plane new 4 years ago and I have 630tt in the aircraft. I'm thinking about getting my commercial license and I'm wondering if I could make it pay up in the great north. I own the plane outright and she's got 710 hours since new. I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there owner operator contractors in Alaska?. Do companies contract owner operators. Would they even consider a guy from SC with about a 900 pound capacity? My wife and I don't have children, we're in our mid thirties and I just sold my business. We want some adventure. My wife is a nurse and it's not necessarily important she work for the next few years. I just don't know where to begin. We're think about just flying up this spring and feeling the waters. I picture myself hauling for a mining outfit or something but I'm not even sure I have the right aircraft. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks folks

Well we made good on that idea and the wife left me. We did just that and settled in Ketchican for a year. She's nursing in Portland dating some loser now and I'm rambling around. I sold the Maule last fall and I'm putting the last final touches on my brand new Aircam. I've outfitted her with the 912's for a total of 200hp and I've made some modifications to haul my life around in her. I'm in Aspen CO now and my plan is to fly south to the bottom of the world this summer (Argentina). I never got around to getting my commercial license but I did get my float endorsement. Alaska was a blast btw and I will go back.

Ok so the nitty gritty. Can anyone tell me some resources where I could find some regulations on traversing central and south America. I plan on meandering down and putting the Aircam to work in Nazca or doing tours down in Patagonia or some such. I'm not in need of the money I just love to fly like the rest of you guys. I'll be able to carry two passengers or 550#s of gear. I'm thinking I'll be able to go down and get to work. Does anyone know of a blog or such that resembles what I'd like to do? Thanks guys.

piperboy84
22nd Jan 2013, 06:24
Turbine Maule, Alaska, adventure, Patagonia, air gypsie, Rid of the Missus !

You sir are my hero, I salute you.

BackPacker
22nd Jan 2013, 08:05
Without a CPL and a visa that allows you to work locally, and possibly an AOC what you would be doing would probably be illegal. But it doesn't look like you'd be troubled by that.

Like Piper said, I salute you. Takes a lot of guts to throw it all away and start over, doing what you love most.

mary meagher
22nd Jan 2013, 08:25
There are Christian missionaries that fly in those parts....

effortless
22nd Jan 2013, 08:41
There are Christian missionaries that fly in those parts...

Yes dreadful isn't it. As if life isn't bad enough down there.

Grizzly Adams
23rd Jan 2013, 19:24
Thanks for the replies guys. I've actually taken some of your advice and inquired about volunteering with JARS.

cockney steve
23rd Jan 2013, 21:10
There's a Dutch firm that organises a 10,000Km cycle-ride down the Andes, from Equador to Argentina. -takes about 4 months and 2 of my offspring just returned from the trip.
Maybe there's a market in taking a pair of rich Americans on a similar jaunt, but by air.

Ironing out the legalities might be a stumbling-block, but as Back-packer suggested, you're a resuurceful fellow and will surmount those difficulties.....3 friends clubbing together shouldn't have problems ;)

Sounds like you're well rid of the wife. People change,the only permanance is the wooden overcoat at life's end. you have the balls and the spirit. I, too send my salute:ok:

Effortless....thanks, made I larf !