PDA

View Full Version : PPL/IR Europe

Whitti
21st Jan 2013, 07:58
Does anyone have any experience of this website? It's subscription based, £70 per annum.

Stumbled across them whilst looking for flight planning software. As someone recently IR qualified and wanting to do some routes in UK and Europe, it looks like it could have some good advice, but don't want to spend any money unnecessarily.

S-Works
21st Jan 2013, 08:20
An excellent resource for the private instrument pilot. If you are new to private IFR it will be the best £70 you spend.

Tolka
21st Jan 2013, 08:22
I would also recommend PPL/IR if you have an instrument rating.

mm_flynn
21st Jan 2013, 15:00
I would also strongly recommend joining. They have some excellent resource and are a good group of people.

Cusco
21st Jan 2013, 19:33
No brainer: join up:worth every penny IMHO.

Excellent source of info with lively and informed forum for all kinds of questions.

I even had a PPL/IR forum member help me out on the phone when I was stuck in Germany last summer tearing my hair out unable to get my return IFR plan accepted: He spotted my error instantly and fixed it: All this at 22.00hrs at night.

You don't get much better recommendation than that.

Hope he's blushing as he reads this..................

Contacttower
21st Jan 2013, 19:54
Can also recommend it - online forum is very good and some excellent articles written about IR flying.

bookworm
22nd Jan 2013, 08:30
Does anyone have any experience of this website? It's subscription based, £70 per annum.

Bear in mind it's much more than the WWW site. If you look at "Our Aims and Achievements" in the About section, you'll see that your £70 goes towards lobbying and support too.

Sam Rutherford
22nd Jan 2013, 08:50
I concur!

Fly safe, Sam.

Peter Geldard
22nd Jan 2013, 11:41
It's the best £70 I spend on flying each year!
As already mentioned, I believe the forum itself is worth the value: Because it is a 'private' site it is dominated by serious discussion (no 'slagging off' which sadly often occurs on 'open' forums) by well informed pilots.
It has a further forum section on 'airfields' which, in itself, gives good, practical, and valuable advice.
But, as already mentioned, it is the main player in trying to ensure that private IR is heard and safe-guarded in Europe.
With all the shenanigans going on in EASA at the moment, it is vital that those of us who have invested so much in getting an IR should be listened to.
I believe history will judge in the future that it was only the PPL/IR group that safeguarded our position.
DO join us if you can: We need each other.

Whitti
24th Jan 2013, 04:00
Thanks to everyone who replied! Exactly what I was hoping to hear, sounds like a great resource.

I've had a read through the parts of the website that I can access, and some of the recent magazine issues and there is some really interesting stuff, and goes into a lot of detail too.

This response is enough for me, so I'll certainly be joining - I shall see you all in the forums!

Thanks again
Whitti :ok:

tmmorris
24th Jan 2013, 09:50
Maybe I should get off my @rs3 and join up too. I come under the heading of IMCR who uses it a lot and wishes the IR wasn't out of reach...

Tim

dirkdj
24th Jan 2013, 10:30
One of the main objectives of PPLIR is lobbying EASA and it seems to give rather good results for the IR community.

chrisbl
24th Jan 2013, 21:38
Was in it but quit, the magazine struck me as a willy waving exercise rather than anything helpful.