PDA

View Full Version : Is the A320 fitted with some form of HUMS?

mushingstall
15th Jan 2013, 17:47
I recently got chatting to an ex RAF engineer who had worked on fitting and testing HUMS (Health and Safety Monitoring System) on several different Helicopters.

I'm aware that the A320 has the ability to run diagnostic checks on many of its electrical components but the systems he mentioned where mostly mechanical, i.e. strain gauges fitted to gearbox components to give an indication of wear, useful life left etc.

He seemed surprised when I told him that I didn't think that the A320 had such a system fitted to provide a diagnostic indication of mechanical wear and tear. Does the A320 have such a sytem that i'm unaware of?

Thanks in advance!

DozyWannabe
15th Jan 2013, 18:39
I think the "system" is somewhat more crude, but I recall reading that the A320 (and probably other types of that generation or later) does, for example, log the "G" of each landing - and if the log exceeds a certain value, a thorough check of the gear must be performed.

EDIT : The advantage in modern systems of having so many parameters monitored means that such functions can be performed without needing to add extra devices for measurement.

PT6A
15th Jan 2013, 18:47
It does indeed, if over a certain value you would get a LOAD 15 report pop out of the printer.

Most of our systems are monitored and if their is a problem it will send an ACARS message (which became public domain information with AF447)

Or are you talking about some other system?

Love_joy
16th Jan 2013, 08:33
I recall a few years back doing some reading on an Airbus, they had an optional extra product called AIRMAN, which performed real-time monitoring of the airframe and systems.

I guess the engines are monitored by the manufacturer.... RR for example can monitor in real-time, and make remote parameter changes to ensure smooth running. This can happen at anytime, and without the crew knowing anything happened.

The rough and ready DH8-Q400 has a central diagnostic system, any system fault logged can be recalled by engineers. Even faults that don't present to flight crew.

i am a bee too
18th Jan 2013, 16:33
A 320 series FDIMU AIDS and QAR or WQAR monitor almost every system on the aircraft.

fantom
18th Jan 2013, 18:17
320s are so fitted but you need to turn the speaker volume up to hear it.