PDA

View Full Version : Private flying in Madagascar

Piper.Classique
14th Jan 2013, 12:35
I will be on holiday in the north of the country in december, all going to plan (fingers crossed)
Anyone flown there? What sort of validations would I need on a JAR FCL PPL with SEP and night ratings (before I dive into to official sites, a quick headsup on links, gotchas, etc would be helpful)
Also flying clubs, pilots' associations, that sort of thing. I would be looking to hire a basic four seater for local flying.
Thanks, all.

keenpilot
16th Jan 2013, 14:53
Can't help you, but sounds really interesting, let us know how you go.
Did one domestic flight as a passenger on a really old 737 there one year ago, and it didn't seem very regulated there

astir 8
17th Jan 2013, 07:11
It's a long time since I lived in Madagascar but at that time they seemed to have combined all the inherited French bureaucracy with a lot of local inefficiency of delivery.

e.g. 33 different signed and stamped letters to get an exit visa to leave the country!

Best of luck!

Croqueteer
17th Jan 2013, 15:48
:ok:Did my first power solo there in a Jodel in 1966. Instructor , controller and airport manager was Paul Bregler. We were flying the oil blockade on Rodesia from Majunga. No hassle then, but I should think it's all change now.

Fieldhawk
19th Jan 2013, 16:08
Ah, sweet memories of Madagascar, M Bregler and Majungar and the Jodel 90 5R-MBT which I last flew on 21 November 1966. Never managed to go solo but remember the circuit well. Even remember doing two touch and goes from a single approach - with a large jet on finals just behind!! But who worries.

Croqueteer
20th Jan 2013, 08:53
:cool: You must have been on 38 Sdn, too , fieldhawk?

JW411
20th Jan 2013, 16:19
Supplied by 105 Sqn; I was always happy to call V1 at Majunga.

Croqueteer
20th Jan 2013, 19:36
:rolleyes:And sell us booze at inflated prices! Well ok, that was actually a Brittania crew, not the Argosy. Anyway you bought me plenty of beers in later years!