PDA

View Full Version : Pretty tight takeoff/landing in a Luscombe...

AdamFrisch
8th Jan 2013, 03:42
Not huge amounts of room for error.:ok::)

N1770k luscombe takeoff at mason airport - YouTube

N1770k luscombe a landing at mason airport - YouTube

verticalhold
8th Jan 2013, 07:43
Either very highly experienced or too inexperienced to know better!

Don't think I'll be trying that personally.

VH

gaxan
8th Jan 2013, 09:22
Looks very similar to landing in the back garden at Hatfield House !

India Four Two
8th Jan 2013, 10:21
Interesting strip - 330 m x 9m.

The Luscombe's owner won it in a raffle, but he was already an experienced Luscombe pilot:
Maynard man wins rare airplane in raffle, says it will keep memory of pilot father alive - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/08/28/maynard-man-wins-rare-airplane-raffle-says-will-keep-memory-pilot-father-alive/RyWfOhBWUmSSMmIHs3ZtNO/story.html)

FAA Information about Sids Airport (MA52) (http://www.airport-data.com/airport/MA52/)
http://www.airport-data.com/images/airports/small/005/005873.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Jan 2013, 12:29
You don't fly like that if you're inexperienced. Very nicely done! :ok:

Contacttower
8th Jan 2013, 12:52
I think the video makes the runway look a bit shorter than it actually is...visual compression effect etc. Still 330m is hardly long and with just 9m to play with width ways you'd have to on the ball. Just goes to show what a plane like that can do in the right hands.

bingoboy
8th Jan 2013, 13:17
The effects of the trees on wind gradient etc must limit the field use and make the approach quite interesting.

Pilot.Lyons
8th Jan 2013, 14:53
I wish my iphone app would show the links instead of "null" :(

Richard Westnot
8th Jan 2013, 18:18
I agree with Contacttower re visual compression in the video.

330m is doable in the Luscombe/Maule variants amongst other STOL aircraft.

Definitely for the more experienced pilot though.

Sir George Cayley
8th Jan 2013, 20:35
One word - E.F.A.T.O :eek:

Presumably they leave the back door open?

SGC

rmcb
8th Jan 2013, 22:52
The length is OK - it's the width that would freak me out.

Said the Actress to the Bishop...

Madbob
9th Jan 2013, 08:18
If you value your life and those of any pax (ignoring the risks to a lovely aeroplane) I'd advise keeping the ac at a proper airfield! The STOL demo is very impressive but a tad risky for everyday ops IMHO.

A very useful skill to have as a pilot when the need arises but to tempt fate by an EFATO with houses and trees all around is not best airmanship and is tempting fate unnecessarily.......

He must have very understanding neighbours, I can't see that happening here in the UK. There are so many "anti's" around, you'd think that private flying was a sport/hobby/recreation on par with fox hunting!:E:E:E

MB

Fitter2
9th Jan 2013, 15:04
Looking at the EFATO options, and given that Minute Man Airport is less than 10 minutes drive away, I'm impressed by the flying skills but not the logic.

Pilot DAR
9th Jan 2013, 15:09
I once went to pick up an MD500 helicopter in Alaska, for a ferry to Vancouver. I was told that the helicopter base also had a runway. As we drove up, and I saw the parked helicopters, I looked around for the runway, but did not see it. I asked. I was told I had driven on it to get in. It was about the same dimensions as the one on the video. As I flew the helicopter out, I passed over dozens of similar runways. Not only short, but hewn out of the forest, so big trees as obstacles.

I used to operate my STOL 150, and a STOL 182, out of an 1100 foot runway, with 70 foot trees at both ends. Doable, but I agree, pushing your luck for day to day operations. The 182 had the power to force its way out. The 150 just made it each time, with no margin for error.

maxred
9th Jan 2013, 15:14
Given there may be no logic to it, he may just enjoy it.

However, the EFATO issue, is an issue. No where to run I would suggest.

I have been operating a Cub out of 300 metres, and only 15 feet wide, (the farmer misjudged the trimming of his ploughed area), trees either end, which involves slide slipping in. No margin for error, and certainly hones your tail wheel experiences. The strip is home to a Kitfox, and we have been using it, the strip, for 'tight landings'.

This guy would appear highly experienced on type, I have not flown a Luscombe, but he would appear to handle it all pretty well. Certainly understanding neighbours, if it is only marginally louder than the lawnmower:O

mikehallam
9th Jan 2013, 16:16
The information I found doesn't say he uses the strip much or necessarily keeps the Luscombe there. Look for a hangar ?

I suspect he may have flown in & out just for old times sake as his Dad did use it some 60 years ago - when probably the trees & dwellings had't taken all the spare space.

Having achieved this satisfactorily and not bent it he may well be keeping it in the hangar next to his main Cessna a/c at the local a/port.

mike hallam.

Monocock
12th Jan 2013, 10:29
330m is doable in the Luscombe/Maule variants amongst other STOL aircraft.

:eek:

Yes, 330m is doable in the Luscombe, but that's the first time I've ever heard of Luscombes and Maules compared as similar STOL types!!!

Richard Westnot
12th Jan 2013, 14:41
For clarity, I think I said "amongst" other STOL aircraft.

Here are some types "similar" :p (if that helps.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=definition%20of%20stol%20aircraft&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQjBAwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FList_of_STOL_airc raft&ei=bYLxUOXWJ6zO0AXX64GQAQ&usg=AFQjCNHHZ1JZsY1y1ATe4pL8zAjPp9lC-g

Monocock
13th Jan 2013, 07:29
A Wiki list that includes a Cessna 150 and 177 as STOL. :ugh:

Who writes this stuff?!! :{

Piper.Classique
13th Jan 2013, 11:10
A Wiki list that includes a Cessna 150 and 177 as STOL. :ugh:

Who writes this stuff?!! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

Anyone who wants to. You can edit it.