PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Pimping...

oli,_the_original
6th Jan 2013, 11:39
So, long story short, I have found myself in the possession of an o-540 engine. I have plans for this engine...

Its all pretty much pie in the sky stuff at the moment, but long term plan is to potentially find a C150/152 airframe project, convert it to Texas Taildragger specification and install the beast in it, potentially with a McCauley CS prop.

There would also obviously be some other modifications etc too, including, but not limited to:

Additional Fuel Tanks
Stripped, Bare Metal Interior
Redesigned Panel
STOL Kit

So main questions to the forum and interweb...

1. Has anyone ever seen an O-540 installed to a C150/152 or an STC for one?

2. Do people honestly think that a C150/152 airframe would take the power without major modifications?

3. Is it possible to move a C150 across from COA to Permit to allow a simpler passage to achieve this? Is it worth moving, or stay and keep the COA and do all of the horrendous amounts of paperwork? I would like to be able to take it around europe relatively hassle free.

4. Has anyone ever seen an underwing 'drop tank' style fuel/baggage system for 150/152?

Cheers,

Oli

And before the nay-sayers arrive, I am aware of the fact that it is a weird airframe to start from, that it makes little to no financial sense and that it will be a lot of work to make it legal.

Pilot DAR
6th Jan 2013, 12:01
I have owned a 100HP STOL C150 for 25 years, so I know what they're like. I have considerable experience flying 150HP 150's on wheels, floats and skis. The only really good reason to increase the power of a 150 is for use on floats or skis. You lose utility in the tradeoff.

My Teal amphibian was changed from 150HP to 180HP by it's former owner. It gets airborne better, but that's all. everything else is about the same except furl burn. Definitely not worth the cost to modify.

235HP would result in a 150 which had very poor utility, and demanded great pilot skill. Sell the L540, and buy a stock C150.

oli,_the_original
6th Jan 2013, 12:09
What about upgrading a 172 in the same way instead? More space and more capacity

Pilot DAR
6th Jan 2013, 12:48
A 172 is a more possible choice, though it's airframe engine mount attachment fittings are light for that power, and would require structural reinforcement. The cost of the mod would probably exceed the cost to buy the flying candidate airplane. You gotta really want it!

I'm in the midst of doing $380,000 worth of upgrades and mods, to a perfectly acceptable stock 182 which I bought for $72,000, and flew home for a client. This includes an engine change.

You gotta really want it!

172driver
6th Jan 2013, 13:58
Get yourself a C182 with a clapped-out engine. Put yours in there and hey, presto! you've got yourselves a great airplane!

Big Pistons Forever
6th Jan 2013, 15:31
Get yourself a C182 with a clapped-out engine. Put yours in there and hey, presto! you've got yourselves a great airplane!

There is no STC to install the O 540 in a C 182. There is a version of a Maule which has this engine. Maules seem to be a mix and match design so an option would be to find a lower powered (ie cheaper) Maule with a run out engine and see if you ca get the Maule factory to approve the swap.

It should also be pointed out that all O 540,s are not created equal. Have you done the research on what the intended application for your dash number is ?

As for installing it on a C 150 :eek:. You can't just bolt an engine that is 2 1/2 times more powerful and weighs (with CP prop) twice as much without extensive airframe modifications :ugh: and for an airplane that will very likely have severe limitations.

NearlyStol
6th Jan 2013, 17:51
Dreamer ! !
It's obvious you are not in the U.K.
Every success !

oli,_the_original
6th Jan 2013, 19:44
Wonderful comments, thank you all. And good to see that everyone has heeded the 'pie in the sky' caveat at the start! God bless PPRuNe :ugh:

Well the main driver is to have something totally different, time/money not particularly an issue. More a project to grace the back of the workshop until being unleashed one day.

BPF: Thank you for highlighting that strapping a far larger, more powerful and torque-ier engine coupled to a prop which will also create a larger torque component will require airframe modification to avoid it opening like a tin of corned beef midair...

NearlyStol: I am afraid you are wrong! I am indeed indigenous to England! However, I do not find myself bound by the normative European methodology when it comes to modifications, instead favouring to be rather more outlandish perhaps, and then raining in. The sky is the limit after all!

Big Pistons Forever
6th Jan 2013, 19:51
OK.....Bolt it to the front of a Chipmunk. Art Scholl did a similar mod many years ago and made a pretty amazing airplane.

Mark 1
6th Jan 2013, 20:18
If you're after a tailwheel, back-country C150 on steroids, it would probably be better and easier to build something like a Bearhawk (http://www.bearhawkaircraft.com/), or Murphy Moose (http://www.pattersonaerosales.com/Aircraft/Moose/Moose.html).

Assuming you are in the UK, you wouldn't get a C150 on permit and the practicalities of your proposal in terms of weight, balance, useful load, Vne increase etc would render it virtually out of the question and probably more work than a kit-built project.

I don't think either of these have yet been cleared on permit in the UK, but that's not too much of a problem for a well designed kit-plane. Either would be a good recipient for your engine.