PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific Flight Simulator Instructor

A330B777
6th Jan 2013, 10:26
Can someone shed any insight into the working conditions/lifestyle of a full time airline flight simulator instructor?

I'm curious as I see Cathay Pacific specifically recruit for dedicated full time Flight Simulation instructors and wondered what it was like working as one.

On Cathay's website it states;

We invite candidates with a thorough aviation pilot training background, relevant airline check and/or training backgrounds, or equivalent military experience, to submit an application.

Applicants must hold or have previously held an ATPL with preference given to those possessing a Boeing or Airbus endorsement. This is a ground position and a current medical certificate is not required.

Now I'm sure airlines would strongly favour ex line pilots with airline training experience; but is at all possible that a career flight instructor with an ATPL and extensive hours of flight instruction experience (outside the airline industry) be recruited and trained on type to work as a Full time Flight simulator instructor for an airline?

(I believe Flight Safety require just 2000 hours, a CFI and no specific type rating or line experience for their simulator instructors, as they train them on each type they instruct on)

Informative insight (not catfight) would be extremely welcomed.

Thanks

Flying Mechanic
6th Jan 2013, 13:22
I live in HK and know a few Cathay sim guys, all of which had thousands of hours of airbus/ Boeing jets, before they joined Cathay as sim instructors.If you don't have jet time or sim jet experience, I think your chances would be slim.

Rashid Bacon
7th Jan 2013, 21:31
Is there an age limit for Sim instructors with Cathay?

Jaz and the Fat Man
11th Jan 2013, 07:29
I agree about needing a solid background working for an airline before you would be considered. Many times, the applicants have retired and are looking for something to supplement their income and also have something to do.

I too am interested in hearing from guys that have decided to hang up the thrills and excitement of flying for these LCC's and become sim instructors. I just received an invite to be an instructor on the B787 but not sure if I want to give up flying just yet. It would be great to get the type and experience but......

Can anyone share their experience of giving up flying to instruct? I'm also interested how many instructors get asked to join their students airline as an instructor and line pilot?