PDA

View Full Version : Perth/Scone Airport approch procedures

pilot in command
16th Dec 2012, 09:10
Hi everyone,

Just another question I'm hoping you can all help me with. I'm a PPL with about 35 PIC hours now and have been doing lots of landaways to airports around Scotland, however I have never flown into Perth Airport. I plan to do this next week and was having a look at my Pooleys guide yesterday which states "all aircraft must join overhead" Is there any particular reason for this, I though it would be simpler if traffic just joined base/downwind etc rather than ALL traffic having to join in the overhead.

Also, where are the normal parking positions at Perth Airport? The Pooleys guide does not seem to show much detail.

Thanks in advance

Sir George Cayley
16th Dec 2012, 09:28
Have a look at the AIP NATS | AIS (http://www.ais.org.uk)

Search under aerodrome specific for Perth In there you find the airport chart and the rules governing the use etc.

I'm sure a phone call to the ATC number would help you.

SG

NorthSouth
16th Dec 2012, 09:55
Overhead joins are advised because there may be more than one runway in use at the same time. I have been there when someone was doing circuits on 34, another was taking off on 21 and yet others were using 27. An "interesting" experience :eek:
NS

pilot in command
16th Dec 2012, 12:15
Thanks very much for your help! :-)

Contacttower
16th Dec 2012, 12:35
I wouldn't worry about parking - the radio operator will advise. It is a generally informal and friendly airfield but as mentioned above...it can get busy sometimes with lots of aircraft doing their own thing; helicopters, aircraft using the old VOR approach, multiple runways in use. Overhead joins just give one a better view of the traffic situation. Chances are though at this time of the year it will be relatively quiet.

Obviously if there is no one else in the circuit then it doesn't really matter.

pilot in command
16th Dec 2012, 14:13
Great, in that case I'll probably track to the PTH VOR then do an overhead join. Will be good practice as normally I just join the circuit on a base leg.

dont overfil
16th Dec 2012, 15:47
Pilot in command.

Don't worry. I'll look after you.

PPR on www.perthairport.eu (http://www.perthairport.eu) The links are there as well.

It can get very busy particularly at weekends. Some of your colleagues decided on plan B today because of that. Weekdays and early mornings are quieter. Remember the biscuits:ok:

D.O.

pilot in command
16th Dec 2012, 16:17
Thanks very much, I'm planning on flying to Perth this coming Friday from Dundee so I'll PPR using the link. I've just got a new DC headset 13.4 so planning on trying it out on Friday either in the Grob (if I can get the one with 2 pin intercom) or the Warrior.

Thanks! :-)

chevvron
16th Dec 2012, 17:01
You should plan primarily on an overhead join wherever you go, and ATC/FIS may 'amend' this (eg 'report base leg/downwind') when you get close. You certainly shouldn't expect a base leg join everywhere you go as, if the circuit is busy, some pilots might not take too kindly to you 'pushing in'.
If it's an airfield with AGCS, I would advise you to always join overhead as there could be non radio traffic which the radio operator is unaware of

piperboy84
16th Dec 2012, 21:46
PIC
Hey that’s great your coming to Perth, you will love it, great people and facilities and off course you do know about the little tradition we have for first time PIC arrivals at Perth, It’s called “ Polish the Lucky Maule” kind of like an aviators version of Kissing the Blarney Stone which involves giving the White Maule that’s usually parked out front on the grass a good polishing around the cowling with a duster (if you enjoy it, feel free to do the fuselage, windows and tail also !!) folklore says this will bring you good luck and many good flying days.

Anyway best wishes for your flight and don’t forget to “Polish the lucky Maule”
and please introduce yourself, I will be the guy sitting in the easy chair at the club house window with my feet up.

pilot in command
17th Dec 2012, 09:54
Hey, thanks for the welcome! I certainly shall introduce myself and "Polish the lucky Maule" :) Judging by the forecast, Friday looks a bit dodgy so I may have to postpone to a later date.

acoulson
17th Dec 2012, 12:09
And don't miss the Mighty TriPacer G-APXU !
(ahem, 1/10 share for sale, details via PM or AFORS)
Cheers, Andy

Unusual Attitude
17th Dec 2012, 12:13
Sounds like a nice aircraft that Andy... ;)

acoulson
19th Dec 2012, 13:12
Oh it's a lovely aeroplane, for sure - but it's the esteemed members that make the Group work so well :D