PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito over Auckland

Samuel
14th Dec 2012, 20:49
Aerial HD footage of the WWII Mosquito flying around Auckland City - YouTube

fleigle
14th Dec 2012, 21:00
Gorgeous vid., pity about the cr*p techno "music" though.
f

Samuel
14th Dec 2012, 22:23
Precisely. I've never figured out why an evidently enthusiastic aviation type person would go to all the trouble to make such a DVD then blot out the natural sounds with dreadful "music".

Trackmaster
15th Dec 2012, 01:25
Could not agree more on the sound issue.

Mr/Ms video producer....have you ever heard of the term "nat sound"? It means natural sound.

You are undoubtly proud of your work....nat sound would have dramatically enhanced it.

fergineer
15th Dec 2012, 03:51
Its coming to the museum that I work at on Wednesday, so will be hearing the sound of 2 Merlins in close formation. Then I will have to put it in the hanger at the end of the day.

mikip
15th Dec 2012, 06:09
Thanks for the warning fleigle, I turned the sound down and watched in glorious silence, the sound of merlins would have been better though!

Shackman
15th Dec 2012, 09:36
For a completely different view of the same flight:
Flying DH Mosquito KA114. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=rGfQQWOsoB8&vq=large) (for this one turn the sound up!)

Mrs S and I had the privilege of looking around the machine in its hangar at Ardmore last month, unfortunately missing seeing this flight by a few days. The following day we had lunch with one of her relations, only to discover he had flown PR Mossies during the war, and had been one of the invited few to its original unveiling.

Without a doubt this is a magnificent achievement by the small team that have rebuilt her - even more so when you see photos (and some original bits) of what it started off as. Imagine what they could do with a few boxes of termite-ridden Spifires from Burma!

Dan Gerous
15th Dec 2012, 12:04
I've got a 2.1 speaker system on my computer, with the sub woof on the floor which I can put my feet on. Turn up the bass and try it.:)

brakedwell
15th Dec 2012, 14:54
Can anyone tell me what the horn was warning about?

fleigle
15th Dec 2012, 15:25
Thank you Shackman, really appreciate that !!
The horn may have been related to speed and gear, or flaps, not down yet?
f

brakedwell
15th Dec 2012, 15:36
I thought it was speed related, so it could be a an airworthiness requirement..

thing
16th Dec 2012, 00:10
Thanks Shackman, one of the best aviation vids I've seen.

Samuel
16th Dec 2012, 02:39
From the Pilots' themselves...the Mosquito doesn't have any stall warning, and the horn is related to speed/ undercarriage not down.

PLovett
16th Dec 2012, 03:40
The horn is an undercarriage warning. It is especially notable in the formation flight with the Vampire and Spitfire as large throttle movements were required.

I also suspect that the Mosquito doesn't have a high undercarriage activation speed hence the need to get the power back before lowering same.

Brian Abraham
16th Dec 2012, 04:41
The following comes from the manual for the FB6, presumably be the same.

Gear speed 155 knots

Warning horn if the the gear is not locked down and throttles are less than one quarter open.

Samuel
16th Dec 2012, 08:37
Keith Skilling, ex-RNZAF, lining up Ardmore

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/Shadblat/674copy-1_zpsce653f17.jpg

Agaricus bisporus
16th Dec 2012, 11:00
Aaah! The noblest death a bug could wish for!

KING6024
16th Dec 2012, 11:09
The only time I saw Mosquitoes flying was when a formation flew over Watford while they were making 633 Squadron at Bovingdon,I can't remember how many though,4/6 ??
Colin.

GeeRam
16th Dec 2012, 12:16
The only time I saw Mosquitoes flying was when a formation flew over Watford while they were making 633 Squadron at Bovingdon,I can't remember how many though,4/6 ??

5 were flown in the film.

But a 6th airworthy one was flown into Bovingdon and used for ground and cockpit scenes. This a/c was the T.3 that soon after filming was allocted to the IWM and had it's wing chopped off so as to be displayed at Lambeth for the next several decades.
After being sold/swapped by the IWM to TFC at Duxford, it was subsequently sold on, and is now owned by Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection and is the next one in line for restoration back to airworthy by Avpecs in NZ.

oldbeefer
18th Dec 2012, 08:08
Thanks, Guy - fantastic!

fergineer
19th Dec 2012, 07:57
Spent all day with it today and will be there tomorrow to see it off. Its a magnificent sight to see, a real privilage to get up and close to it. Not many people get the chance that I had today or will have tomorrow.

fergineer
19th Dec 2012, 23:40
Alas its now departed Tauranga so will not see it again what a credit it is to the restorers.

bakseetblatherer
21st Dec 2012, 00:06
Well I can't wait til next month when it'll be MoM @ WoW! (Mosquito over Masterton at Wings over Wairarapa). I missed the Ardmore shindig with the better half back in the UK for a family funeral, but I won't miss it this time!

Wings Over Wairarapa :: Latest News (http://www.wings.org.nz/latest_news/index.htm#mossie)

fergineer
21st Dec 2012, 02:57
Bakseeter it is well worth the wait, you will be impressed for sure. You can see why it was such a good aircraft in its time.

sikeano
21st Dec 2012, 05:02
Brilliant video

aviate1138
21st Dec 2012, 06:57
Mmmm...
"5 were flown in the film"

I worked on Mosquito Squadron [not the best movie ever made!] and I only ever saw 4 together, both at Bovingdon and West Raynham where we moved to after The Battle of Britain gaggle took over Bovingdon.

Pilots were Taffy Rich, Pat Fillingham [T3], Neil Williams and one other my brain cell can't recall but should. Allen Wheeler was the Aviation Advisor.

At West Raynham we were joined by a Farnborough based early mark Shackleton which housed the movie cameras, one fore and one aft. The movie only ever shows 4 flying Mosquitos and had there been five they would show up somewhere but don't.

There was a lot more low flying footage that probably ended up on the cutting room floor and I remember the Aerial Cameraman Stan Sayer saying the Shackleton flew so low over the Wash/North Norfolk area that it left spray trails from its prop wash.

I do hope that we get a Mosquito flying over its home soil fairly soon......

GeeRam
21st Dec 2012, 15:45
Mmmm...
"5 were flown in the film"

I worked on Mosquito Squadron [not the best movie ever made!] and I only ever saw 4 together, both at Bovingdon and West Raynham where we moved to after The Battle of Britain gaggle took over Bovingdon.

Pilots were Taffy Rich, Pat Fillingham [T3], Neil Williams and one other my brain cell can't recall but should. Allen Wheeler was the Aviation Advisor.

At West Raynham we were joined by a Farnborough based early mark Shackleton which housed the movie cameras, one fore and one aft. The movie only ever shows 4 flying Mosquitos and had there been five they would show up somewhere but don't.

Err...... Mosquito Squadron and 633 Squadron are two different films seperated by 5 years ;)

There were 5 x Mosquitos flying during filming for 633 Squadron at Bovingdon in July 1963, which is what I and the previous posters were talking about.

And you are correct regarding only 4 being used for filming of Mosquito Squadron at Bovingdon in July 1968 :ok:

And I think Taffy Rich was the only pilot to fly a Mosquito in both films. And I can't find out who was the 4th pilot either :p

Samuel
22nd Dec 2012, 17:30
There is an excellent calender of Mosquito shots available from Avspecs, [and at the WOW show]. .

Avspecs Shop (http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/shop.html)

Samuel
26th Dec 2012, 07:37
This is an American view of the brilliant achievement that is the Mosquito, and in my humble opinion, the best so far! Pilot is Dave Phillips. There won't be a pilot anywhere who, seeing this, won't drool!

Mossie Photo Mission by Scott Slocum - YouTube

KING6024
26th Dec 2012, 08:09
A superb video.At 2:14 there is a brief glimse of what looks like the hull of a Flying Boat.Any ideas anyone.Thanks in advance.
Colin

Mike51
26th Dec 2012, 16:22
It looks like this Widgeon Colin

unid Grumman Widgeon amphibious_NZAR_8999 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zk-ngj/8187861182/)

KING6024
26th Dec 2012, 18:20
Thanks Mike51,it needs a lot of TLC !!
Colin

Samuel
26th Dec 2012, 19:33
The Widgeon was quite common around Auckland in their day. Captain Fred Ladd, a wartime Grumman Avenger pilot, flew one under the Auckland Harbour bridge one day.