PDA

View Full Version : exterior lights during deicing

marsattacks
13th Dec 2012, 20:32
good evening!

looking for procedures of light switching during deicing (nav/logo).

cheers

MrHorgy
13th Dec 2012, 22:10
De-Icing Checklist:
(Condition - Illumination of the aircraft is required during De-Icing)

Lights...................AS REQUIRED

END OF CHECKLIST

On a more serious note, I imagine turning them off is the best course of action, leaving only the position and anti-col (as req) on, to save blinding the poor guy in the truck!

TurningFinals
13th Dec 2012, 23:03
Surely leaving the nav lights on would be beneficial especially at night to help the guy in the truck see your wingtips? Even though most deicing rigs have windows in the cab ceiling, they often become useless as they get covered in deicing fluid or snow depending on the conditions. Also there won't be any cones on your wingtips come deicing time.

grounded27
13th Dec 2012, 23:08
Not quite sure, logo, wing scan and runway turnoff may help more than harm.

de facto
14th Dec 2012, 09:45
Logo is not a good idea as they shine upwards from the stabilizer and willl be in the face of the deicer..so NOT nice.
The NAV(position) lights must be on if operative as they dont interfere with deicer vision and are part of the preflight procedure.They also identify the tip more clearly during low vis,snow...
Wing light /runway turn off is a NO NO as it only pi@@@es off the guy parking next to you ...the deicer has its own lighting system,he doesnt need yours in his face:ooh:

grounded27
15th Dec 2012, 14:10
The logo's and wing scan's are pretty well concentrated in the respective surfaces, the turnoff may not be a great idea, the driver may get caught in the beam.

Proof Reader
15th Dec 2012, 17:11
Is it too difficult to say to the deicer crew we put all lights on unless you ask for any to be turned off?

Green Guard
15th Dec 2012, 17:33
human stupidity has no limits.
Having all Landing Lights ON, between ground and FL100 or more ( 24/7) inspite of TCAS etc etc has probably led some smart jackass to set the law to have all car headlights ON (24/7) even during full sunshine.

Well after all that, why not have ALL Lights ON ( including Landing, taxi, Rwy Turn off, wing check etc etc etc ) during De-Icing ?
And if the guys on ground damage our aircraft....well it is their problem, Is it....:ugh:

Agaricus bisporus
15th Dec 2012, 18:13
Frankly it's a pretty tragic illustration of the fly-by-numbers state our industry has come to that anyone even asks such a question. The fact that there are people out there who believe/feel/imagine a need for "procedures" re lights and de-icing is chilling.

What's even worse is that some might imagine taxi, turnoff or wing lights to be on during a period when an aircraft is stationary and on the ground. WTF???

Whatever happened to common sense and airmans - sh- sh - Oh! Sh!t!

I nearly said it again!

I'll get my flourescent road-menders coat...

Coming soon. A thread on "Procedures for fly-zips when negotiating wet road junctions".