PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Jordan?

Odai
12th Dec 2012, 19:44
Hello,

I am wondering if there are any options for hiring aircraft, as a (EASA) PPL), in Jordan?

I am working towards my PPL at the moment, and have been toying with the idea of flying in Jordan for a while now, as I go once or twice a year.

I will be heading to Amman in a few weeks, and although I sincerely doubt I will have my physical licence by then, I am hoping to have passed my skills test by that point.

Therefore, I would like to visit any places that may offer what I'm looking for (I'm guessing Amman Marka would be my best bet).

I've had a look at the Jordanian AIP, and from what I can tell, VFR flying is very simple in Jordan, especially with regards to airspace/ATS etc.

I would appreciate any advice at all on finding what I am looking for, or flying in Jordan in general. If this is better posted on another forum let me know!

Thanks

Odai.

007helicopter
12th Dec 2012, 21:22
Odai, yes there certainly is, I helped ferry an SR22 to Saudi Arabia and left the flight at Aqaba airport in Jordan.

Here is a video (not very good) of a flight I did in a rented DA40 in the Wadi Rum desert low level Diamond DA40 Flying low level in the Wadi Rum desert in Jordan - YouTube

Ayla Aviation Academy-The Leading Flight Training Organization for Pilots in the Middle East (http://www.aylaaviation.com) can rent you an aircraft with instructor, you can also easily fly over the Petra which is the city cut out of the red rocks 2000 years ago.

feel free to pm me if have any specific questions but I would highly recommend it:ok:

007helicopter
12th Dec 2012, 21:24
Not sure why it posted the video twice and can not seem to remove it

500 above
13th Dec 2012, 07:26
Contact Us | Middle East Aviation (http://www.mideastaviation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=22&lang=en)

That's a bit closer to you than Aqaba. Aqaba is a lot nicer scenery though!

Odai
13th Dec 2012, 23:06
Many thanks for your responses guys. 007Helicopter I'll drop you a PM.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else has any other tips!

500 above, you are right, I would have to be flying out of Amman as Aqaba is too far away.

It's probably a bit of a push, but would anyone be able to rent out a plane for me to fly solo, as I would as a PPL here in the UK? I was kind of hoping to take my family out there for a spin. :cool:

I think I will pay a visit to the schools in any case when I head there this month!

007helicopter
14th Dec 2012, 03:30
It's probably a bit of a push, but would anyone be able to rent out a plane for me to fly solo, as I would as a PPL here in the UK? I was kind of hoping to take my family out there for a spin.

Odai I very much doubt it and personally my view is that would not be wise until you have built up much more experience.

They have some interesting neighbours in Jordan and for a start you would not want to stray into the wrong airspace, secondly local conditions vary, for example on final I had an unexpected sand storm that I would not have appreciated as a newly minted PPL.

Aussie Andy
27th Jan 2013, 11:03
Guys, does anyone know if it is possible to fly from Israel into Jordan and then onwards into Saudi? I am interested in this as part of a long distance flight in my PA28 Cherokee from UK to Australia later this year.

Thanks!

M-ONGO
27th Jan 2013, 15:26
Israel to Jordan is possible - Arkia Airlines do just that. Avoid an Israeli stamp at all costs if you intend travelling to Saudi.

Aussie Andy
27th Jan 2013, 16:45
Thanks M-ONGO but that's not exactly what is meant.. I mean can I fly MY aircraft, a G-reg PA28 VFR from IL to Jordan?

I am familiar with the passport hassles, I do a bit of business I the region... so my goal is not to travel with Arkia or any other commercial operator: it is to fly privately.

Ultranomad
27th Jan 2013, 20:20
Aussie Andy, Israel will only allow you to fly IFR on a foreign license. For VFR, you need your license validated, which will require you to sit an exam in air law, which is only available in Hebrew :ugh: (or so I was told by the head of personnel licensing at the Israeli CAA). However, it won't hurt to write a formal letter to their CAA asking if the validation exam can be taken in English.

FYI, the entire Israeli airspace is controlled. The only crossing into Jordan is via SALAM, 31°56' N 35°31' E, FL 70 or above.

M-ONGO
27th Jan 2013, 20:33
Hi Andy

I understand what you meant - the Arkia scheduled service was only stated to show it is possible border wise. Certain Israeli airports mandate a Hebrew speaker on board. FWIW I've flown (C)VFR there in a B200 on a foreign (N) reg on a foreign licence as an internal flight but will state all of my international flights to Israel and the Middle East are on an IFR FPL.

Getting permission from ASOC is usually the hassle. They like you to have a reason (other than leisure) for the visit, and a local contact.

Security Code System (http://asoc.mot.gov.il/)

Aussie Andy
27th Jan 2013, 21:19
Thanks for the details brothers - OK got it, so I think it's not viable... rather than go to all that trouble, I will route Cyprus - Egypt VFR (although in practice they ake you follow airways as i understand it) then onto Saudi... With the trouble bubbling in Egypt I promised my wife I'd at least investigate the route via Jordan.. Lebanon to Jordan means via Syria so that's obviously not a good choice these days... and from your comments Israel - Jordan can't be down VFR so Egyptmit is..!

Odai
28th Jan 2013, 01:25
Just to add - it's impossible to go into what is officially Israel or the Palestinian territories (controlled by Israel) without getting your passport stamped. It used to be the case you could request to get a landing card stamped instead - not anymore.

I have to say though, whatever route you end up flying, good luck, and I hope to hear all about it!

Ultranomad
28th Jan 2013, 03:30
Odai, only Israeli citizens without electronic border passes always get their passports stamped. Foreigners may still ask for a stamp on a slip on paper, and sometimes get it even without asking - the latest such occurrence I know personally was four weeks ago (happened to a friend of mine). On the other hand, sometimes the border guards are stubborn and stamp the passport anyway, but this is rare.

Aussie Andy
28th Jan 2013, 07:06
Thanks chaps - I travel to Israel frequently on business, and elsewhere in the Middle East. I have no problem with passport stamps... a) it seems less of an issue than years ago; b) I can have more than one passport if needed...

500 above
28th Jan 2013, 07:32
Just to confirm you can ask for no stamps on entry. Expect a bit of an inquisition though! I'm there pretty often.

Andy, if you route through Cyprus I can help you - we have a g/a hangar in Pafos under construction. We operate all over the region and can assist you. Pafos - Beirut is very straightforward and a quick flight. Pafos - Egypt is also not too difficult with Alexandria 'just across the water' and a regular destination.

Odai
28th Jan 2013, 13:30
That's interesting, when I was there recently they insisted on stamping my passport, stating they were under specific direction not accept requests to stamp a card. It wasn't a huge issue, as my passport expired very soon after.

Then again, it could be a discriminatory practice, as I entered from the King Hussein crossing (into the West Bank), which is predominantly used by Arabs, as opposed to TLV airport.

Either way, I wouldn't count on it, especially with a trip of this nature! ;)

Ultranomad
28th Jan 2013, 13:41
Odai, the only cases I heard of when the border control insisted on stamping the passport were indeed on King Hussein / Allenby bridge; on the other hand, this is the only crossing to Israel where Jordanians do not stamp your passport on exit (because they consider it a crossing to Palestine rather than Israel).

Aussie Andy
28th Jan 2013, 17:38
500: very interested in staging through Paphos, and perhaps even basing the aircraft there for a month or so in the summer/autumn TBC... Will PM my contact details to you!

Also FYI I have been speaking with the guys from G.A.S.E in Egypt and they too have recommended the Cyprus - HEPS Port Said (clear customs) - onto HEOC for Avgas and thence onwards from there... so all this sounds better than going via IL or Jordan! A side-trip to Beirut is a very appealing idea..!

Anyway will PM you and look fwd to learning more!