PDA

View Full Version : Wrap around taxiways

NotaLOT
6th Dec 2012, 08:32
Dear All,

I am looking into the operational use of wrap around taxiways (taxiways that go around a runway end, to enable taxiing aircraft to go around the runway rather than cross it).

I know such arrangements currently exist in Schiphol and in Frankfurt (around the 25 thresholds).

Would anyone local to these airports (or indeed to any other airports where such taxiways exist) be able to tell me how these are used operationally? Are arrivals or departures permitted over a crossing aircraft, or are they only able to be used when aircraft are not overhead (or about to be)?

If you are a pilot, have you ever overflown an aircraft on a wrap around taxiway - and is it distracting?

Kind regards,

NotaLOT

Reimers
6th Dec 2012, 09:27
In Frankfurt, aircraft up to a certain size (A320, I think) are allowed to taxi regardless of arriving aircraft crossing overhead. I didn't find it distracting, as the crossing taxiway lies far enough in front of the RWY threshold.

DaveReidUK
6th Dec 2012, 09:44
These are also becoming more common in the US, where they are termed "end-around" taxiways.

Both ATL and DFW have built one in the last 5 years, so you might also get some useful feedback from US PPRuNers.

hvogt
6th Dec 2012, 11:38
In Frankfurt, aircraft up to a certain size (A320, I think) are allowed to taxi regardless of arriving aircraft crossing overhead.
I seem to remember reading something about this in the AIP. It might be worth checking, NotaLOT.

NotaLOT
6th Dec 2012, 13:36
Thanks for the tip. I had a look in the AIP, but there is nothing there on use or restrictions of these taxiways (S-east and R-east I believe). There are stop bars before the extended centre line on both taxiways, so there must be a need to hold aircraft there, but I wonder if that applies to all aircraft or just particular size.

Any more info anyone?

grounded27
6th Dec 2012, 21:25
KMIA had one around the east end of 27R/9L, it was limited to aircraft smaller than a 727 making it about useless at the time I was there, now that they have built 8L/26R they may be using it for the commuters.

westhawk
7th Dec 2012, 03:11
KSFO also. I remember experiencing significant delays in getting from the GA ramp on the north side of 28R before they installed their end-around taxiway. On a typical day sanfran takes arrivals on the 28s and launches off the 01s. Though they may sometimes squeeze a GA departure off of 28R at taxiway E, it is expected that a 01L or 01R departure will be assigned. During busy arrival times crossing the 28s could take awhile before the end-around was opened so the longer taxi is more than offset by the time saved.

Bpalmer
7th Dec 2012, 05:00
At EHAM, an A330 has to stop at the hold short lines on taxiway Z that goes around the end approach end of 36C

NotaLOT
10th Dec 2012, 18:23
Dear All,

Thanks for the information and leads, hopefully I will be able to get some information on BCN as well.

Regards,

NotaLOT

EMIT
11th Dec 2012, 03:32
At AMS, RW36C/18C has a wrap around taxiway around both ends of the runway: Y around the northern end, Z around the southern end.

ATC assigns one of those when the Center runway is in use, and does it in such a way that taxiing aircraft are not overflown, whether the RW is in use for landing, or for take-off.

PENKO
11th Dec 2012, 11:16
MXP, BCN, AMS all have these 'wrap arounds'. The only restriction I have come across, and there are probably many more, is that we had to hold short to allow a departure from 25R in BCN. No restriction on arrivals for 07L (same rwy).