PDA

View Full Version : Variation to Instructor Rating - EASA Licence required

Staple
28th Nov 2012, 16:43
I've just submitted my application to have my "No aerobatics" restriction removed from my instructor rating. To my horror I received an e-mail today to say that despite having a JAA ATPL with 3 years validity left I need to convert to an EASA licence to have the restriction removed!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience or can anyone confirm this is correct?

RTN11
28th Nov 2012, 17:08
Yep, my understanding is that any amendment/variation however big or small will require a new licence to be issued, since they are no longer issuing JAA stuff.

BillieBob
28th Nov 2012, 17:13
This is correct. The CAA are now prevented by law from issuing/re-issuing JAA licences and any action that requires an amendment to a JAA licence triggers the issue of an EASA replacement. The JAA licence is already 'deemed' to be an EASA licence but with limited validity (in your case 3 years). What you are actually getting is a non-expiring replacement.

Staple
28th Nov 2012, 18:52
Thanks for the quick replies chaps...

slr737
28th Nov 2012, 19:41
Just good luck. Have the same issue to renew my IR SPA and sent my paperwork around 20th of september.
Still waiting for my new EASA license.

They say they need 30 days to issue licence, I rather think it is about 6 months !:\

Whopity
28th Nov 2012, 20:30
What is slightly more concerning is that the CAA advised the remaining few BCPL(R) holders to change to a JAA PPL in order to continue exercising their licence and Examiner privileges. Most of these licence holders have been Examiners for many years and now discover that in order to renew their Examiner Authority, the licence they were advised to obtain is no good and they must pay again for an EASA licence.

If a solicitor gave such bad advice you could sue them!