PDA

View Full Version : New CAA DVD

Jude098
27th Nov 2012, 09:57
“Loss of Control – aircraft upset recovery, a user’s guide.“

Always knew I shouldn't be telling an aircraft to "get back here, behave" etc etc in turbulent weather and on gusty crosswind landings but now know why.....don't upset an aircraft or you're asking for trouble :)

18greens
30th Nov 2012, 07:52
I just got it too. Is it worth watching?

My initial thoughts were that since it has a picture of a BIG aircraft on it it is only relevant for Airline pilots. Does it have any learnings for us who fly the smaller stuff?

ggargan
30th Nov 2012, 10:25
Where did you guys get it?

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2012, 10:57
It must be a slightly sad reflection on the limits of modern pilot training for the average Joe. There's obviously not so much spinning or aerobatic experience out there these days.

This stuff used to be seen as essential core skills. It's one example of the advantage of military pilot training.

18greens
30th Nov 2012, 21:47
OK.

I did take time to absorb the meat of the presentation and some of the attached documents. As a light ac pilot I can appreciate there are some differences between stall/spinning a Pitts vs an Airliner.

We can go on about 'how can you fly an aircraft if you don't hit the edges of the envelope a bit' (I think I do every time I fly). I took a 200+ hour pilot up recently for a check flight and he was horrified when I asked him to hold the acin the stall after the stall warner had announced in order to se a wing drop recovery.

Perhaps we need to reintroduce spin /stall training in a light a/c as part of an airliner LPC syllabus. And if we get to the point where noone dreads it maybe we will have moved forward.

A and C
1st Dec 2012, 07:52
No student of mine gets a PPL without spin recovery training.

asteroid01
11th Dec 2012, 03:39
Is the info from the CD ROM available on line? Reason being that you won't receive a copy of the disc if you have left the uk for fairer climes.
I would love to review the information but can't find an on line link.