PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up an SPA IR or IMC rating

flyingscotsman99
20th Nov 2012, 09:49
As an ex-commercial pilot I let my ATPL lapse and took out a PPL on the basis that it would be cheaper in the long run to keep up my medical.
The PPL commenced 06/06/12 and I have an SPA IR valid to 03/05/12.
I was mistakenly under the impression that after 1 year an IR would simply revert to an IMC rating for a further year. Unfortunately that is not quite right. You have to go through a paperwork exercise to achieve that, and here is the sting; ANY change to a JAR licence now triggers a change to an EASA licence.
That means that to allow my IR to revert to an IMC rating for the second year, I would have to pay for an IMC rating and an EASA licence, having just paid £189 for a JAR PPL six months ago! Even changing your address requires a change to an EASA licence and £73!
I offer this as just one more cautionary tale! No doubt there are people who have grasped all this EASA stuff. I just don't happen to be one of them; obviously too much time flying and not enough reading CAP 804!

peterh337
20th Nov 2012, 10:53
In case you may want to recover your JAA IR, note that the route has just become potentially a lot harder if you let it lapse.

I have notes here (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/jaa-ir/) (search for "Keeping the JAA IR Valid").

flyingscotsman99
20th Nov 2012, 11:08
Thanks, I think I will renew my IR at least once more until things become clearer.

Whopity
20th Nov 2012, 12:06
And if you had retained your UK ATPL, the IMC privileges would have been built in! It is an illusion that you save money by downgrading to a lower licence. Stay on the higher ground and keep whatever you have for as long as possible. None of this is helped by some poor guidance from upon high!

cessnapete
21st Nov 2012, 07:51
I recently tried to renew my ATPL to keep the imbedded IMC rating. Was told by CAA person at Gatwick not possible to renew an ATPL without a valid Type Rating.
I don't have a fat enough wallet to renew either of my last two types!! (B744 or HS125)
So downgraded to PPL.
I still have a valid IR and assumed that my new PPL would have an automatic IMC rating,useful when my IR lapses. It only came with a night rating but no IMC?

I'm starting to loose the will to live over the various licensing changes.
I think I will fly what I wish, when I wish, in conditions I consider within my capability and let any subsequent prosecution sort out the licensing!!

BillieBob
21st Nov 2012, 09:00
Whopity is, I think, referring to a UK national (pre-JAR) ATPL, which does not require a valid MPA type rating for re-issue. A JAA ATPL, being now deemed to be an EASA ATPL, does.

Level Attitude
21st Nov 2012, 21:30
renew my ATPL to keep the imbedded IMC rating

UK CPLs/ATPLs had imbedded IMC Privileges (not Ratings)
UK Issued JAR CPLs/ATPLs did not

I still have a valid IR and assumed that my new PPL would have an automatic IMC rating

You've never had an IMC Rating. Why would you assume the CAA would issue you with one if you didn't apply (and pay) for one?

Apply for one now - on the basis of your last IR Test in an aircraft, if that was less than 24 months ago. Otherwise take the test and apply.