PDA

View Full Version : Turweston

Fuji Abound
10th Nov 2012, 10:01
I have the pleasure to go to Turweston quite a bit.

I thought it was worth mentioning for the benefit of others that I have always found Turweston give you a great welcome. The cafe is simple and the cake very good. There is nothing pretentious but they are just a very good example of GA well done and well worth our support.

Perhaps you have other GA airports that you feel are worth a "plug".

(It should go without saying I have absolutely no connection with them what so ever).

thing
10th Nov 2012, 17:05
There are the 'biggies' like Sherburn and Sywell etc that probably don't need plugging but 'smally' ones that have a nice caff and nice welcome off the top of my head are Fenland, Haverfordwest, Sandtoft, Breighton (caff at weekends), Conington.

You can easily have a run up to Breighton with the intention of grabbing a butty and loo stop but finish up there all day talking rubbish.

Not been to Turweston, I shall give it a go if it's recommended.

Aspiring Pilot Alex
10th Nov 2012, 18:06
I'll second Turweston, very smooth runway too. Went to Fenland today, good food. I have to say the ATC staff at Rochester are some of the most welcoming I've met.

madlandrover
10th Nov 2012, 20:51
For food: Shobdon, Sleap, Compton Abbas, Conington (there are many more but I only visit a few on a regular basis!). Carlisle does a good breakfast too...

Zulu Alpha
10th Nov 2012, 21:58
Jimmys at Old Buckenham have a great offer:

Jimmy's Cafe Meal Deal..
Buy a hot or cold sandwich with a Tea or Coffee, and you can get another sandwich tea or coffee free.. so bring a friend for lunch!!
Offer is valid between 11.30am and 3pm daily Thursday to Sunday.
( Only 1 offer per person) Starts 15th November 2012..for a limited time only.

ps I'm nothing to do with them other than a satisfied customer

Local Variation
10th Nov 2012, 23:03
Caernarfon do a cracking sunday roast with all the trimmings, so much so that you need to do a fresh weight and balance check before setting off home :ok:

tmmorris
12th Nov 2012, 08:55
I like Sywell but I have to say that having a cafe which doesn't open until 1100 on a Tuesday is a no-no for me (no, what they serve in the hotel is not coffee!)

Cool to see the Blades filming, though,

Tim

JW411
12th Nov 2012, 16:59
The transformation at Shoreham since Truffles took over the catering is worth a mention. I cannot imagine how much money they have invested but they are well on their way to capturing the 1930s style of the terminal building.

I freely admit that increasing the cost of a cup of coffee from £1.20 to £1.50 raised a few eyebrows but, on balance, I reckon it is worth it.

The bit I have appreciated most of all was the promise that the new management made to the city fathers such as myself that they would renovate a section for us which was, relatively speaking, away from the "passing trade".

Ever since the airport management closed T2, the locals have been a bit homeless.

Now that Truffles have spent a lot of money refurbishing the restaurant and bar, it would be nice if Albemarle would spend some money refurbishing the outside of the building.

At the moment, it is an absolute disgrace.

tmmorris
12th Nov 2012, 20:11
Agree the catering at Shoreham is something else. Really nice and as I am prepared to eat at Starbucks I can't really complain about the prices.

Tim

RTN11
12th Nov 2012, 20:26
I freely admit that increasing the cost of a cup of coffee from £1.20 to £1.50 raised a few eyebrows but, on balance, I reckon it is worth it.

This is what I find most amusing about the burger or coffee run, flying an hour each way the coffee really cost around £300.

I would second Compton Abbas and Old Sarum for the cafe, also I always found Manston worth a visit, lovely little cafe and a free spitfire/hurricaine exhibition which was quite nice. Plus, it's the less appreciated lands end.

A and C
13th Nov 2012, 07:48
Another vote for Turweston............& they have the best paint shop in the UK.

Halfbaked_Boy
14th Nov 2012, 01:19
Turweston is one of the friendliest airfields I know of - flying club and ATCO both friendly, happy to chat and rightly proud of the airfield.

Also, ditto the poster above regards the paint shop!