PDA

View Full Version : 757 minimum runway width

Marlboro_2002
6th Nov 2012, 07:47
Good morning,

A few hours ago I saw a 757 operating on a 40 m wide runway.
This got me wondering what is the minimum for this type and what is its turning radius.

Thanks,

Wycombe
6th Nov 2012, 08:09
Used to see them at SOU (Southampton, UK) fairly regularly and that is 1723 x 37m.

TCAS FAN
6th Nov 2012, 08:12
Southampton (SOU) has a 37M wide runway but has had many B757 movements. Something of an anomaly as in accordance with CAP 168/ICAO Annex 14 this runway is a Code 3 but the B757 is a Code 4 aircraft, something that has been frequently commented on by the CAA but apparently not within their power to prevent.

Can only assume that the operating airlines have satisfied themselves via a risk assessment that the proximity of the engines to the edge of the paved surface is tolerably safe.

Fuel Crossfeed
6th Nov 2012, 08:42
30m from memory. At that width our company SOP was the captains had to do the t/o & landing.
B757 has operated into Skiathos with several airlines, the runway there is short and narrow :eek:

underread east
6th Nov 2012, 08:49
757-200 Min pavement width for 180deg turn= 36.6m.

smallpilot
6th Nov 2012, 08:59
SEN is 37m wide and you see them in there regulary (admittedly empty) for engineering work.

747dieseldude
8th Nov 2012, 17:04
Read somewhere that the min width should be triple the distance between main gears.
Twice for a taxiway.

Maybe someone could find the reference ?

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2012, 17:47
"The design of a taxiway should be such that, when the cockpit of the aeroplane for which the taxiway is intended remains over the taxiway centre line markings, the clearance distance between the outer main wheel of the aeroplane and the edge of the taxiway should be not less than 4.5m [for Code D/E/F aerodromes]"

"The width of a runway shall be not less than 45m [Code C/D/E aerodromes] 60m [Code F aerodromes]"

ICAO Annex 14, Volume I "Aerodrome Design and Operations"

HazelNuts39
8th Nov 2012, 21:26
I vaguely remember that specific criteria had to be met to get approval for operations on narrower-than-normal runways, involving flight test demonstrations such as continued and rejected takeoffs with one engine failed at V1, crosswind landings etc. Australian regulations perhaps?

decurion
12th Nov 2012, 07:39
B757s are being operated at runways with a width as low as 30 m. The ICAO airport design requirements for runway width don’t apply to aircraft operations. FAR/JAR/CS 25 regulations don’t mention minimum runway width. Typically Boeing would give some advisory material to operate on a runway of 30 m(increase VMCG, reduce crosswind limits etc.).

DaveReidUK
12th Nov 2012, 08:31
The ICAO airport design requirements for runway width don’t apply to aircraft operations.

Hmmm, I wonder what kind of operations they do apply to, then. :O

I think what you mean is that they are recommendations, not requirements.

decurion
12th Nov 2012, 11:12
These are indeed recommendations given by ICAO whendesigning a new runway. They are often confused as being the requirements foraircraft operations. However local authorities may stick to the advised minimum runwaywidth as a limitation, other local authorities (Transport Canada, AustralianDepartment of Aviation) have additional requirements or Special Conditions todetermine the minimum runway width for a particular aircraft type.