PDA

View Full Version : Air Law .....Yawn

cashquest
30th Oct 2012, 15:52
Hi all

Just at the stage in my training that I now need to move on and take my Air Law exam. Hoping I am not the only one to ever say this.... I am finding retaining all you need to know about this subject very difficult. Therefore my fellow flying nuts. I am sending our a request to anyone arond the GTr Manchester area who may be an Air Law expert who would be willing to spend some time over a few days/weeks to teach me in ways I can take in, in return for a few beers and never ennding gratitude, I would love to hear from you.

Contact via here or you can drop me a mail at [email protected]

I hope to hear from someone.

Thanks all
Stuart. :confused::ugh:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Oct 2012, 16:06
I'm afraid you just have to knucke down and learn it. It was by far the least interesting of the PPL exams for me, but the relevant bits are essential knowledge to have in your head before you are let loose in UK air space.

fireflybob
30th Oct 2012, 16:19
A lot depends on who is teaching it!

I have always enjoyed Air Law and loved teaching it but am nowhere near you I am afraid.

If you can find the right instructor who brings the subject alive you're on a winner.

Another aspect to think of is to look at books about how to study. I find that Tony Buzan's "Mind Mapping" system works for me. Unless you have a photographic memory you're never going to learn a subject like Air Law by just reading it. IT's always worth making your own notes and sketches and remember to use colour! Then revise from your notes.

Also work through past papers if possible to see what sort of questions are being asked (am a bit out of date but is this in the "PPL Confuser"?).

Hope this helps.

Barcli
30th Oct 2012, 16:31
easy innit - getting one of those flying lisense jobbies .......:sad:

thing
30th Oct 2012, 17:26
Another vote for the writing pertinent notes as well. The very act of writing something down makes it stick in your head; hence why I always carry a piece of paper and a pen around with me so that when you have a 'Ah must remember to do that' moment you can get it down on the spot rather than getting home and knowing you should have remembered something but you can't remember what it was.....

DavidWoodward
30th Oct 2012, 19:20
What school are you learning to fly at? I did my licence from Mainair Flying School at Barton. If you need someone who's good at teaching then Marcus Furniss or Chris Copple from Mainair could help you. Where in Manchester are you based?

Grob Queen
3rd Nov 2012, 13:09
Hi Cashquest,

I passed my Air Law this week. My tips? As the others have said, making copious notes is the key. With different highlighting colours, draw spider diagrams (as a visual learner this really helps). Stick post its all over your kitchen wall and cupboards...another way I learnt.....write key fact cards with pertinent nuggets on.

Use Airquiz online - this is an indespensible tool I find and really shows your improvement and the areas which you need to study more. Also, PPL Perfector is great as the example questions in there are some of those which you will actually find on the paper (hee hee ;) )

Abive all, don't despair! I did when I first looked through the Air law jungle, but using these methods and a bit of patience, it soon sinks in.

Good luck!
GQ

Obi_Wan
3rd Nov 2012, 19:50
Cashquest,

Yes it's dry, even if you like law as a subject, but as you progress through your training you'll be amazed how often you come back to what you're learning in law - vis minima, priority of craft, airspace class restrictions, the list goes on.

Right now, it probably feels like a necessary evil, but there's a reason you study this one first, and why you have to do it before going solo.

Keep at it. If necessary, get some good ground school. Separately from your training club if necessary as it's a subject that can be brought to life by some, while others will send you to sleep with it.

Old Ben

Nickilaa10
3rd Nov 2012, 23:24
Hi

For a couple of my exams I used a guy called Gareth Bird, his ground school is called Manchester Ground School. He is based in Oldham, so very easy to get to from Manchester. I did Nav and R/T with him and passed first time! A great guy and very helpful indeed. have a look on google for Manchester Ground School and give him a call :) Good Luck

Nickilaa