PDA

View Full Version : Easa ppl/h to Easa lppl /h

lartsa
28th Oct 2012, 17:05
Is an Easa cpl/h or ppl/h convertable to a Easa LAPL/h or do you go and get a LAPL medical

I believe in fixed wing circles you could before EASA use your national uk licence as a nppl just by getting a medical sign off

Thanks in advance

Whopity
31st Oct 2012, 00:27
An EASA licence is issued for life and you are only allowed one EASA licence in each aircraft category. FCL.040 Exercise of the privileges of licences
The exercise of the privileges granted by a licence shall be dependent upon the validity of the ratings contained therein, if applicable, and of the medical certificate.Thus if you have a PPL(H) with a valid type rating in it then the licence would be restricted to LAPL(H) privileges on that type if you only had a LAPL Medical Certificate.

Historically, Licences have always cascaded down, the NPPL was the exception and then they had to find away around it.

muffin
31st Oct 2012, 09:08
Thus if you have a PPL(H) with a valid type rating in it then the licence would be restricted to LAPL(H) privileges on that type if you only had a LAPL Medical Certificate.

That is true for fixed wing PPLs as exemption ORS4 No 816 allowed the use of a PPL restricted to NPPL privileges without the need to actually hold an NPPL provided they have a valid NPPL medical declaration. However this has never been the case with the PPL(H) as there is no NPPL(H).

Do you have a reference that states that the same thing applies to the LAPL? ie that holders of a PPL(H) if they have an LAPL medical can use it to support LAPL(H) privileges on their licence?

Whopity
31st Oct 2012, 10:07
Do you have a reference that states that the same thing applies to the LAPL?No, thats what I was looking for, but conversely there is absolutely nothing to say that you cannot. FCL040 is the only reference and that states that the licence privileges are predicated on the basis of the aircraft rating and the medical, nothing else. If you read through the Part FCL privileges of the various licences you will see the cascading down is evident they just haven't spelt it out in the PPL. If an ATPL or CPL holder can exercise LAPL privileges there is absolutely no reason why a PPL holder cannot. As you have a lifetime licence, they will not issue you with another lower level one as there is no need to. You could of course upgrade it if you wanted to.

I am fully aware there was no NPPLL (H) however there is now provision for one! ANO Schedule 7National Private Pilot’s Licence (Helicopters)
Minimum age – 17 years
Privileges and conditions:
(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) to (4) the holder of the licence is entitled to fly as pilot in
command of a single-engine helicopter with a maximum total weight authorised of
2000 kg or less, carrying a maximum of 3 passengers, such that there are never more
than 4 persons on board. I simply used this reference to indicate that it was the exception rather than the rule and the only case I know of where cascading down was deliberately omitted for political reasons. The ORS was to alleviate that restriction.

lartsa
1st Nov 2012, 09:18
That's the same problem I have I tried to find out where it says you can cascade the licence

similarly does the class 1 cascade to class 2 (it used to still think it does )and then cascade to LAPL or class 2 to LAPL

Whopity
1st Nov 2012, 10:21
I think you need to be more careful with the medical. The JAA medical eventually stated Class 1 and 2 privileges but the LAPL medical is a different process. Once the Class 2 has reached its expiry date then its a worthless piece of paper. It would need to have a validity date for the LAPL.

BillieBob
1st Nov 2012, 10:27
Actually, it doesAMC1 MED.A.030 Medical certificates
(a) A class 1 medical certificate includes the privileges and validities of class 2 and LAPL medical certificates.
(b) A class 2 medical certificate includes the privileges and validities of a LAPL medical certificate.

md 600 driver
6th Dec 2012, 14:11
whopity
did you ever find where is says in fcl that your licence cascades down with what ever type of medical you have
ie
cpl becomes ppl privilidges ppl becomes lapl privilidges ect

BEagle
6th Dec 2012, 15:54
Whereas the privileges of the CPL(H) include those of the PPL(H) and LAPL(H), the privileges of the PPL(H) do not include those of the LAPL(H).

The NPPL(H) is outside the normal NPPL system and will only be issued to those LAPL(H) helicopter pilots wishing to fly non-EASA helicopter types, because all helicopters require type ratings and a non-EASA rating cannot be included in an EASA licence.

If you can no longer meet Class 2 medical standards, you will need to obtain a LAPL medical certificate, then your PPL(H) will be revoked and you will be issued with a LAPL(H).

The CAA did explain why the PPL does not include LAPL privileges; unfortunately I don't recall the full explanation, but it was something to do with concern they had that a pilot involved in an accident with a lapsed rating could claim that he was actually flying using LAPL 'rolling validity' rules.

It would be a whole lot more straightforward if the wretched 'rolling validity' nonsense of the LAPL was binned and all Part-FCL licences had the same structure, including the privileges of any lower licence for the same cateogory of aircraft...:(

muffin
6th Dec 2012, 18:33
The CAA did explain why the PPL does not include LAPL privileges; unfortunately I don't recall the full explanation, but it was something to do with concern they had that a pilot involved in an accident with a lapsed rating could claim that he was actually flying using LAPL 'rolling validity' rules.

But an LAPL medical supports NPPL privileges on a a PPL according to the leaflet that the CAA put out a few months back so why shouldn't it support LAPL privileges?

Maoraigh1
6th Dec 2012, 19:32
My recent medical (age 71) is Class 2 expiry 9 December 2013, LPPL expiry 9 December 2014. This appears to be the standard wording.

BillieBob
7th Dec 2012, 09:55
muffin - the problem is not the medical certificate (which does include LAPL privileges and validities) but the PPL, which does not. You can exercise the privileges of an LAPL with a class 2 medical but you need to hold an LAPL and not a PPL to do so.