PDA

View Full Version : FAA TO EASA Conversion Questions

TheNakedTrader
25th Oct 2012, 04:53
Dear all,

I recently completed and attained my FAA PPL in Florida (I'm from Singapore) with a total of 98.8 hours total time.

I am thinking of pursuing a flying position in the airlines in the near future. While that is still quite awhile to go, its never too late to begin thinking about licensing conversions and requirements.

I'm looking to complete my FAA IR and Multi-Engine ratings, then do a conversion to EASA PPL ME IR.

Is that recommended? Or should I convert my FAA PPL to EASA PPL and then complete the EASA ME and IR ratings?

Does anyone know of a recommended place in the USA to do such conversions and what is required?

Regards
bryan

bookworm
25th Oct 2012, 07:13
I'm looking to complete my FAA IR and Multi-Engine ratings, then do a conversion to EASA PPL ME IR.

Is that recommended? Or should I convert my FAA PPL to EASA PPL and then complete the EASA ME and IR ratings?

At the moment, the FAA PPL to EASA PPL conversion process is easy, but the FAA IR to EASA IR process is hard. There are two potential developments that may make it easier in future over a timescale of perhaps two to three years. One is the proposal by EASA for a competence-based modular IR with a significantly easier conversion of third-country IRs. The other is the development of implementation procedures for licensing as part of the Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement between EASA and the FAA.

Thus if I were you, I would do the FAA IR and ME ratings now (assuming that you would want to use them in the short term), and keep an eye on the conversion options as they develop.

TheNakedTrader
25th Oct 2012, 14:24
Ok...so where is a good place to go to, to convert my FAA PPL to a EASA PPL? Also, are both PPLs stand-alones?

B2N2
25th Oct 2012, 19:31
with a total of 98.8 hours total time.

Not to be the fly in your soup but what is the reason for a 100 hr PPL?
Allow me to be brutal for a moment here but was that due to:

bad school
bad instructor(s)
bad weather
bad airplanes
or a bad student?

In the end it is all a matter of money and how much you are willing to spend.
99% will eventually get the license they are after but that doesn't mean that everybody is suitable for this occupation.
I'm not too cheap to give you a recommendation; go to another school and get your FAA IR. Another school so that you get one of the variables out of the equation. If the IR now takes 100 hrs maybe you should continue to fly recreationally.

*** Alternatively I may have jumped the gun and you had a bunch of hours from years ago ***

bookworm
25th Oct 2012, 21:08
Ok...so where is a good place to go to, to convert my FAA PPL to a EASA PPL?

Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 Annex III
B. CONVERSION OF LICENCES
1. A PPL/BPL/SPL, a CPL or ATPL licence issued in compliance with the requirements of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country may be converted into a Part-FCL PPL/BPL/SPL with a single-pilot class or type rating by the competent authority of a Member State.
The pilot shall apply to the competent authority of the Member State where he/she resides or is established.

2. The holder of the licence shall comply with the following minimum requirements, for the relevant aircraft category:
(a) pass a written examination in Air Law and Human Performance;
(b) pass the PPL, BPL or SPL skill test, as relevant, in accordance with Part-FCL;
(c) fulfil the requirements for the issue of the relevant class or type rating, in accordance with Subpart H;
(d) hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate, issued in accordance with Part-Medical;
(e) demonstrate that he/she has acquired language proficiency in accordance with FCL.055;
(f) have completed at least 100 hours of flight time as a pilot.

It's little more than paperwork -- a couple of ground exams and a skill test. But wait until you need to use it.

Also, are both PPLs stand-alones?

Both? :confused: You can get an EASA validation (piggy-back licence) but the requirements are identical.

dobbin1
26th Oct 2012, 17:34
Ok...so where is a good place to go to, to convert my FAA PPL to a EASA PPL? Also, are both PPLs stand-alones?

Any UK flying school would help you with this, but make sure you do the 100 hours first, so that you only have to do the two exams. You will need a few hours practice with a UK instructor pre-test getting used to UK weather, airspace and radio.

Once you have met the requirements (i.e. passed the two exams and your skill test) you will be issued with a stand alone EASA licence.