PDA

View Full Version : Relieve command?

FRIDAY
11th Apr 2002, 03:19
Just on a curious note,
If in the case of the captain performing an act which may be considered against company poilicy or more serious actually placing the aircraft in danger, How would the co-pilot go about relieving command if the captain persists and fails to acknowledge co-pilot's instruction.
Is there proper procedure to be followed for each individual company, or do you just take it upon yourself and belt the captain across the face and reef him/her out of the seat.
I was actually asked this in an interview a few years ago.:confused:

Willit Run
11th Apr 2002, 04:20
Fire/Crash Ax

Pegasus77
11th Apr 2002, 08:36
Difficult situation... In an interview you should always first talk hours about how you would try to convince the captain with arguments, depending on how time critical the situation is. (lots of time = lots of arguments)

Usually a captain already knows there is something wrong and will give over command, but there are also a few cases known where both pilots have had a fight in the cockpit. The result: the strongest won.

In an Airbus we have this nice red button to take over the controls.

seat 0A
11th Apr 2002, 08:46
So what happens if both pilots push the nice red button? Or when the bad guy pushes it first?

TheMagus
11th Apr 2002, 08:52
This has always been one of the big questions in Human Factors/CRM...
The most difficult bit is not really what the co-pilot should do but to actually get him/her to do it and to do it in the right situation. Far too many co-pilots have gone along for the ride straight into an accident they have seen coming.

Teneriffe comes to mind though mutiny would not have been needed there, much less the crash axe. According to people that knew him, captain Van Zanten was a very kind person and his behaviour just before the crash was very uncharacteristic of him. Yet both the co-pilot and the flight engineer failed to assert themselves enough to prevent the accident.

I don't think there is any simple answer to that kind of question on an interview, or a particular answer they are looking for.
You might possibly reply "I hope that I can judge that kind of situation correctly and be clear enough to begin with in getting the captain to understand that he is creating a dangerous situation."

I am, however, very interested in learning what others may have to say on the subject.

Pegasus77
11th Apr 2002, 09:10
The one who pushes the red button as last, wins.

purple haze
12th Apr 2002, 17:50
can someone clarify what this red button is?

i assume it gives priority to one of the pilots?

is it irreversible?

cheers

ph.

Hand Solo
13th Apr 2002, 22:57
The red button is the sidestick priority button. Last person to press and hold the button controls the aircraft through his sidestick. If the skipper does something nutty with his stick then you try to do the opposite with yours and the computers should cancel out the commands.