PDA

View Full Version : JEPP FD With Bad Elf GPS

SU-GCM
12th Oct 2012, 22:13
Hi
Anybody got a signal in the passengers cabin using JeppFD with IPAD2 and Bad Elf GPS ?
Flying after 2 days on a commercial flight and want to try and make sure it's working before I use it on my next flight

Thanks !

aterpster
13th Oct 2012, 12:59
SU-GCM
Hi
Anybody got a signal in the passengers cabin using JeppFD with IPAD2 and Bad Elf GPS ?
Flying after 2 days on a commercial flight and want to try and make sure it's working before I use it on my next flight

Thanks !

I've only done it once with a Bad Elf. That was from LAX to HNL, and it performed quite nicely on that day with the particular sky view I had.

777boeings
13th Feb 2013, 00:16
From my experience so far, the wireless pro(BE GPS 2200) is the way to go. If you have the plug in unit (BE GPS 1000) the problem is that you have to position the entire combination in exactly the right place or you won't get a usable signal. Maybe different with different aircraft but on the B777 there is only a very small area that works just above the window clipboard. Mine kept losing the signal if I moved the ipad even slightly. Tried both iPad 3 and the Mini. Same result. The 1000 may be a great receiver for ground based activities but it you drive a B777, forget it. Anyone else had the same problem?

boeingboy737
13th Feb 2013, 00:19
I dont think your allowed to use a gps device in the pax cabin, at least in the US but I have seen it work with a guy sitting next to the window then he shut it off... I have used it in a cessna and a cirrus works great...

FE Hoppy
13th Feb 2013, 00:28
since when have transmitters been allowed on commercial aircraft? Bluetooth is 2.4GHz tx.:ugh:

bungeeng
13th Feb 2013, 12:22
Before your head-smiley smashes in the brick wall...

Many airlines (including SouthWest!) have WiFi networks in the aircraft.
I'm sure dozens of aircraft are crashing daily and thousands of passengers have died as a result.

What frequency is WiFi? Oops, 2.4 GHz (and 5). :rolleyes:

Time to wake up and smell the 21st century? :ok:

aterpster
13th Feb 2013, 13:31

Worked great for me the one time I tried it. Sometimes, though, there just aren't enough sats out a given window.

aterpster
13th Feb 2013, 13:33
I dont think your allowed to use a gps device in the pax cabin, at least in the US but I have seen it work with a guy sitting next to the window then he shut it off... I have used it in a cessna and a cirrus works great...

There is no FAA rule, per se. They leave it up to the carrier. AAL says no, SWA says yes, and UAL says to check with the captain.

FE Hoppy
13th Feb 2013, 21:41
Before your head-smiley smashes in the brick wall...

Many airlines (including SouthWest!) have WiFi networks in the aircraft.
I'm sure dozens of aircraft are crashing daily and thousands of passengers have died as a result.

What frequency is WiFi? Oops, 2.4 GHz (and 5).

Time to wake up and smell the 21st century?

On aircraft tested and certified for use. On others you are flight testing with a cabin full of passengers!

I'm well aware of what is and isn't available on fleets across the globe thanks!

FE Hoppy
13th Feb 2013, 21:43
There is no FAA rule, per se. They leave it up to the carrier. AAL says no, SWA says yes, and UAL says to check with the captain.

For GPS receiver or for bluetooth transmitter?

aterpster
13th Feb 2013, 23:28
FE Hoppy:

For GPS receiver or for bluetooth transmitter?

GPS receiver.