PDA

View Full Version : EASA License Abroad

lethalMango
8th Oct 2012, 19:38
I have recently started my PPL training and not expected to finish until the end of 2013 at the earliest due to work commitments.

Looking at the way things are going from posts on the forum, there will be no way at the moment for me to fly in IMC without undertaking an IR (which from what I've seen costs mega bucks), is that right?

I intend to do a fair bit of flying over in Canada and the US as well, does the EASA license allow that?

Scottish.CPL
8th Oct 2012, 21:33
No easa license on Europe only get ur ppl and then if you intend on flying in the us you need to get a FAA ppl which can be obtained via the local Flight schools its just to get the paper license and local chech out and that's all

Slopey
9th Oct 2012, 07:11
Looking at the way things are going from posts on the forum, there will be no way at the moment for me to fly in IMC without undertaking an IR (which from what I've seen costs mega bucks), is that right?

You can still do the IMC rating, which will be endorsed on an EASA licence as an IR(R) the (R) being for restricted. But it's not valid outside the UK.

I intend to do a fair bit of flying over in Canada and the US as well, does the EASA license allow that?

No, but you can get an FAA licence based on your EASA one. Just some paperwork, then a flight test and knowledge of the airspace, and you'll be good to go. (You need to do a flight test every two years to keep it current, otherwise it's as per your EASA one). AFAIK there's no cost at the US end but you used to have to pay the CAA to "verify" the licence and the obligatory forms - no idea what the fees will be under EASA.

slw29
9th Oct 2012, 08:27
The IMC/IR(R) rating is UK-only, but there is consultation on the way to introduce something similar to the IMC in Europe. See the doc NPA 2011-16 from EASA which you can prob google.

It mentions an 'En-route IR' EIR, which seems to be similar to the UK IMC rating. I am hoping to get an IR(R) rating (i.e IMC) and am hoping at some point it could be converted into somthing like this, since at present the training for it does not go towards the EASA IR (it does go towards an FAA IR)

So I think that if you are wanting to fly in IMC in Europen on an EASA licence (as opposed to getting an FAA IR and flying an N-reg plane), you keep your fingers crossed until the new EIR appears.