PDA

View Full Version : Single pilot IR renewal

ATP_Al
1st Oct 2012, 20:46
Can anyone help with this? I had just got my head round it under JAA and now we've changed to EASA....

I fly for an airline and have a current multi pilot, multi engine IR. My single pilot IR expired in December 2006, but I want to get it back for private flying. What do I have to do?

3 Point
2nd Oct 2012, 08:45
You need to go to an Approved Training Organisation wherever you are and ask them to help you prepare for and pass the single pilot IR Test. This will be a renewal test and will of course have to be either single engine or multi engine depending on your requirements.

Have fun!

slr737
3rd Oct 2012, 10:13
Last time I spoke to the CAA, they told me it was just a revalidation prof check as the multi pilot IR was still valid.

nick14
3rd Oct 2012, 10:56
I recently did this and it's by no means a difficult process.

It depends on what you want to use it for and how competent you are are the aircraft. I was reasonably current on the PA24 so I did a quick refresher flight and then a renewal proficiency check. 1:40 dual with the instructor and about 1:30 with the examiner.

For a twin it will be considerably more expensive but you can then exercise the privileges on both SEP and MEP if you can find one to rent solo at a reasonable price.

ATP_Al
3rd Oct 2012, 12:23
Thanks for the replies.

slr737, how long ago did you speak to the CAA? I too thought it was just a revalidation proficiency check under JAA, but I've been looking at the new EASA regulations and they suggest I'll have to take the initial skill test again after a certain amount of refresher training!

Al

nick14
4th Oct 2012, 03:21
You would have to do the initial skills test only when it has expired by more than 7 years. The MPA ME/IR prevents you from exceeding this, as long as you keep it current.

It is a Renewal test that is required.

Ex Oggie
4th Oct 2012, 10:20
You would have to do the initial skills test only when it has expired by more than 7 years.

Not quite correct. Be very careful, it is 7 years from the last reval/renewal, not expiry date.

(c) Renewal. If an IR(A) has expired, in order to renew their privileges applicants
shall:
(1) go through refresher training at an ATO to reach the level of proficiency
needed to pass the instrument element of the skill test in accordance with
Appendix 9 to Part-FCL; and
(2) complete a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part-FCL, in
an aeroplane.
(d) If the IR(A) has not been revalidated or renewed within the preceding 7 years,
the holder will be required to pass again the IR theoretical knowledge
examination and skill test.

slr737
5th Oct 2012, 00:02
spoke to the CAA around beginning of september and they told me it was a revalidation.

due to delay at the caa, my licence was processed past the 17th september and i had no issue with the revalidation paper.

just called them to confirm!