PDA

View Full Version : Climb gradient questions.

meatlover
29th Sep 2012, 18:25
Firstly, I Remember reading that for a 2 engine aircraft with one engine out, the climb gradient shall not be less than 2.4%. Is this correct?
Secondly I believe most SIDs require a climb gradient of 3.3%, now if the SID requires a climb gradient of 7%, how do I know if I can make this?
Single engine is okay, since you have an engine out SID in that case.

May be a stupid ques for a lot of you, I would appreciate the help nevertheless.

Lord Spandex Masher
29th Sep 2012, 18:29
Some SID charts will show you a table of speed versus climb rate which will meet the SID requirements.

Also, in one of your company manuals you should be able to find climb gradient charts.

Empty Cruise
29th Sep 2012, 18:49
What sort of aircraft are we talking? SEP or Far/JAA25?

if -25, then your AFM will have climb gradient tables to show what you can do OEI. If you plan on following the SIDs as your engine-out procedure, you ae legally entitled to remove the 0.8% IOC from the SID, i.e. for a 7% SID you'd enter with 6.2% to arrive at limiting TOM.

galaxy flyer
29th Sep 2012, 20:22
The 2.4% gradient, twins, greater for tris and quads, is strictly for meeting certification, unrelated to obstacle clearance. The two are different.

GF

aterpster
30th Sep 2012, 14:41
gf:

The 2.4% gradient, twins, greater for tris and quads, is strictly for meeting certification, unrelated to obstacle clearance. The two are different.

Indeed, the Part 25 takeoff flight path is a certification requirement. Then, however, it becomes an operating requirement for the takeoff flight path in commercial operations. (FAR 121.189, et al)

JIC
30th Sep 2012, 20:09
When you sit in the cockpit and think of this you can use this MDR formular

ROC = CLB% x GS

ROC = 7 x 100

ROC = 700'/min

Nice and easy.:ok:

About the 2,4%, it is correct...