PDA

View Full Version : FAA multi to JAA multi

alistair.baker
28th Sep 2012, 14:22
I hold an FAA license with MultiEngine rating and a JAA SEP license. I am looking to adding a MultiEngine rating to my JAA license.

The only information I could find online was on the requirements to do an initial JAA rating:
- 2.5 hours dual flight instruction
- 3.5 hours of dual flight instruction in engine failures and assymmetric operation
- 7 hours of theoretical knowledge training
- Once I have done all that, take a theory and practical test.

Since I already did all the flying and theory training for my FAA ME rating, I was wondering if there was a shorter/cheaper way than to do it all over again?

Thanks a lot!

A.

AdamFrisch
28th Sep 2012, 16:20
I have the same problem and checked here in the US. The hours count, but unfortunately you'll have to do a skills test. And whatever school you go through, they will obviously insist on you doing some flying with their instructors. I even thought of doing it directly with a JAA examiner here in the US in my own twin, but couldn't find out if the plane needed to be able to fully shut an engine down, or if zero thrust was sufficient (my plane does not unfeather easily in the air). In the end I thought - why bother spending thousands of dollars on bureaucracy?

ifitaintboeing
28th Sep 2012, 17:05
It looks a little more complex than that now we're Part-FCL in the UK. You've now got Article 8 of the Aircrew regulation and Annex III to Part-FCL for conversion of ICAO licences and ratings.

Article 8 says:

(1) Without prejudice to Article 12 of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 and where there are no agreements concluded between the Union and a third country covering pilot licensing, Member States may accept third country licences, and associated medical certificates issued by or on behalf of third countries, in accordance with the provisions of Annex III to this Regulation.

(2) Applicants for Part–FCL licences already holding at least an equivalent
licence, rating or certificate issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the
Chicago Convention by a third country shall comply with all the requirements
of Annex I to this Regulation, except that the requirements of course
duration, number of lessons and specific training hours may be reduced.
The credit given to the applicant shall be determined by the Member State to
which the pilot applies on the basis of a recommendation from an approved
training organisation.

A look at CAP 804, Section 4, Part Q, Subpart 2, pages 3 and 4 gives.....

C. ACCEPTANCE OF CLASS AND TYPE RATINGS

(1) A valid class or type rating contained in a licence issued by a third country may be inserted in a Part-FCL licence provided that the applicant:

(a) complies with the experience requirements and the prerequisites for the
issue of the applicable type or class rating in accordance with Part-FCL;

(b) passes the relevant skill test for the issue of the applicable type or class rating in accordance with Part-FCL;

(c) is in current flying practice;

(d) has no less than:

(i) for aeroplane class ratings, 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that
class;

(ii) for aeroplane type ratings, 500 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that
type;

(iii) for single-engine helicopters with a maximum certificated take-off mass
of up to 3 175 kg, 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that type;

(iv) for all other helicopters, 350 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that
type.

ifitaint...