PDA

View Full Version : As a PPL holder, not IFR rated, how many days can I not fly and remain current?

S8Priv.Ops
24th Sep 2012, 15:35
Now I'm thinking this is 90 days, as per JAR rules -but that would be an assumption because EASA is here. After checking the internet in various places and a couple of downloaded aviation pdfs I still feel as if I would be making an assumption to simply accept that it is 90 days -and I wouldn't want to go flying without being certain. Also question marks are raised for me due to the pdfs stating 'preceeding 90 days' for CPL holders and not PPL holders. Could someone quickly clear this trivial point up so that I can fly if I'm lucky enough to see a break in the weather?

Happy landings.

AdamFrisch
24th Sep 2012, 15:45
You don't need any flying experience to go flying on your own, as long as your bi-annual is current.

tmmorris
24th Sep 2012, 15:52
What he said - as long as your rating is current you can fly when you like. To carry passengers you must comply with the rule of three takeoff and landings in the previous 90 days.

If you rent, of course, the renter will have their own currency rules,

Tim

Armchairflyer
24th Sep 2012, 15:53
AFAIK the 90 days-rule merely applies if you want to take passengers along. On the other hand, some clubs may impose a refresher lesson with an instructor for insurance reasons if you have been on flying turkey for several months.

abgd
24th Sep 2012, 17:24
In practice, most clubs seem to require a check-ride if you haven't flown for over a month.

flybymike
24th Sep 2012, 17:42
bi-annual
Biennial ;)

sherburn2LA
24th Sep 2012, 18:13
on the first day of the second year of your revalidation period fly 12 hours including 6 hours PIC and 1 hour with instructor. 3 years -1 day later if you have kept your paperwork and medical renewals in order you will still be 'current'.

S8Priv.Ops
24th Sep 2012, 21:09
Thank you all :). I'll hopefully be able to get airborne before the Wx makes it a lost cause.