PDA

View Full Version : Groundlooping

FlyingLapinou
24th Sep 2012, 12:35
Ouch! Some of the sequences in this video look pretty painful! :}

Taildraggers vs. Tricycle Gear (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=q5trygRQaV0)

There are those who have, and those who will - isn't that what they say? Well, hoping long and hard it never happens to me.... :E

Pilot DAR
24th Sep 2012, 13:23
Good video for reminding us to use extra care.

I never have, but I almost have, a few times, so I'm hoping that counts as "has" so in the future I won't ;).

My home runway is 40 feet between the markers, and my taildragger's wingtip floats have a 20 foot span, so it keeps me honest. I think it's easier to keep it straight on a narrower runway, as you have less room for error. Keeping it straight, and right down the middle of the runway is the best way to prevent a groundloop.

The more likely a plane is to nose over, the less likely to easily groundloop.

(I tried to link a video clip of me doing it in my 150, on the ice, but the link did not take...)

If you really really try, you can make a nosewheel plane groundloop too....

http://s381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/PilotDAR/Aircraft/?action=view&current=MVI_2206-1.mp4

P.Pilcher
24th Sep 2012, 14:01
The problem of groundlooping always reminds me of what I was told many years ago by an ex-RAF pilot who was, by this time very well retired: "When you come in to land in your Lancaster which has had it's hydraulics shot away and you therefore have no brakes, it is a good idea to induce a ground loop before you reach the end of the runway and thus you will at least remain on the airfield!"

P.P.

Maoraigh1
24th Sep 2012, 20:31
We had a right brake that was sometimes sticky, and a left brake that sometimes needed pumping. I made a perfect three pointer in nil wind on the centreline of a dry wide tarmac runway.
The right brake stuck slightly, and a turn started as I pumped the left brake. I then realised the rate of turn would take me round without leaving the runway, and stopped pumping heading for the edge. I could hear the alarm in the background as the ATCO asked my intentions. As I approached 270 degrees, I pumped like mad, the left brake responded, and I taxied to the hangar.
We fixed the brakes before the plane was flown again. So far that's my only ground loop. 1900 hours total, mainly in Jodel DR1050s

piperboy84
24th Sep 2012, 20:52
I almost lost it yesterday, was coming in with a moderate xwind from the right on final I was configured with right wing down and left rudder heading straight down the middle, on roll-out I made a large banana to the left, I **** myself and had a brain freeze the roll-out ended still barely on the strip but almost into the long grass off to the left.

Sitting replaying it in my head I decided the problem was too much and continuous left rudder after touchdown due to "lead feet" because I panicked.

The lesson I learned is pedal the rudder on short final to get the feel of things and keeps the legs/feet loose