PDA

View Full Version : Trip over Cotswold

zibi85
20th Sep 2012, 12:24
Hi All,

I'm flying with a friend of mine this weekend from Denham. I wanted to take him for a flight over the Cotswold. The plan is to fly straight to Cirencester and then move up towards moreton-in-marsh and back to Denham.

I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestion on a route that offers the best views of this lovely region!

Thanks!

Tupperware Pilot
20th Sep 2012, 12:59
Lovley part of England....from Cirencester fly up the Cotswolds edge join at Cheltenham...past Broardway then East towords Morton...this will take you past Chipping Campden, then Morton, then South East past Stow on the wolds or Chipping Norton, then you could go back over Oxford, the radar service is very good, then over Oxford City and home....
Enjoy.

chevvron
20th Sep 2012, 13:58
Weekend gliding at South Cerney (cable) and Little Rissington (motor gliders). Don't know if South Cerney have a radio but last time I was at Rissy they used the BGA frequency 129.975 (Air Ground Radio not ATC)

Exascot
20th Sep 2012, 14:27
Don't miss:

Stately homes in England, Historic Houses and Days out Oxfordshire (http://www.blenheimpalace.com/)

I always used to climb in this direction from Weston on the Green for the view before heading back to drop the nutters :ok:

robin
20th Sep 2012, 15:19
Weekend gliding at South Cerney (cable) and Little Rissington (motor gliders). Don't know if South Cerney have a radio but last time I was at Rissy they used the BGA frequency 129.975 (Air Ground Radio not ATC)

Also watch out for Kemble, Aston Down and Nympsfield

Mariner9
20th Sep 2012, 16:06
Assuming you're not in a helicopter or microlight, fly right through the middle of R105 for a great view of Highgrove House. If you're err "lucky", you may get a shot of Camilla sunbathing topless ;)

Guzzler
20th Sep 2012, 17:13
If you pass Broadway be sure and buzz the tower on the hill - they love that!

Flying_Anorak
20th Sep 2012, 17:29
And watch out for D129 at Weston on The Green. Even if the parachute DZ is not active (and it sometimes is at weekends), we have gliders with winch cables launching to 3,300 AMSL. I've seen what a winch cable can do to steel, composite or aluminium won't even make it flinch!

Please give it a respectably wide berth - when active we notify both London Oxford and Brize Radar.

FA

Whopity
20th Sep 2012, 19:41
Weekend gliding at South Cerney (cable)And parachuting up to 12,000 ft usually talking to Brze Radar. Also look out for Rendcomb (http://www.aerosuperbatics.com/) 5 miles North of Cirencester. Route towards Gloucester then follow the ridge NE, Cirencester Morton is largely flat with little to see.