PDA

View Full Version : Age limits for a new instructor?

Tiger_ Moth
8th Apr 2002, 20:53
It's my plan to be a flying instructor but I'll have to earn the money for the training first. Therefore I will probably be about 28-32 when I qualify as an instructor.

Is this too old and/or would it make it less likely that I would find work. I mean, is there an age where a club just throws the CV in the bin?
Or would this age be ok?

MJR
9th Apr 2002, 10:19
No, No and No. A FTO will throw anyones CV in the bin regardless of age. Best to do your instructors course where you would preferably would like to fly as quite often you will be offered a job on completion of your training. I got my FI(R) when I was 35, fellow instructors at my FTO got theres in there 40's no reason why it should not be 50's or 60's. In fact this is probably encouraged as older instructors are less likely to move on to airline jobs and promotes stability within the school.

have a nice day

MJR

Kermit 180
9th Apr 2002, 11:03
If thats too old then I'm in trouble. :eek:

I don't think maturity goes amiss with instructing, much of the life experience you already have will be of value when teaching. Have fun with your training!

Kermie

amk
10th Apr 2002, 02:22
Age is not a barrier. Personally started flying at 41, Class IV instructor at 42, Class I at 45. Its a long haul with the pay not that great, but as they say the view from the office window is unmatched by anything else. Wish flying clubs and schools take their flight instructors more seriously and as professionals. My bit of a rant. Regardless, act and behave professionally and maintain a high standard for yourself and be persistent. You will eventually reach your goal. Good luck.

Tiger_ Moth
11th Apr 2002, 19:40
Thanks for your replies everyone. Some of you seem to have got the wrong idea: im only 18 now so I wont be starting my training for about 10 years.

poetpilot
12th Apr 2002, 11:11
I would LOVE to be an instructor if:

(a) They paid people a living wage
(b) Employers treated you as a human being

I'm approaching 50, with 700 hrs of happy PPL-ing under my belt. I'd love to pass some of that experience & my love of flying on, but its just not economically feasible.

:(

Noggin
12th Apr 2002, 14:04
Now if you had taken the money you spent doing 500 hours of your PPL flying you could have been an instructor with over 700 hours and more to come!

BEagle
13th Apr 2002, 07:08
Regrettably the world of civil aviation is seemingly content to encourage pilots with the bare minimum of experience to become instructors. This is because they are cheap and will be keen to 'build hours' in order to go and sit in the RHS of a people-tube for some low-cost airline as soon as they possibly can.

Bigger FTOs used to be able to attract ex-airline pilots or ex-RAF QFIs to their organisations, but the onset of JARs and the scaling down of the military is reducing this source. Hence FTOs are having to look at people with lower and lower experience whilst at the same time exporting much of their basic training to the USA. Hence we are in a very unhealthy situation in the UK regarding flying training opportunities unless we merely employ desperate young 'hours builders' who will be off like a shot when any airline job comes up............