PDA

View Full Version : Over-water operations

Sociedad
11th Sep 2012, 04:00
What you gentlemen think about the differences between "Over-water operations" and "Extended over-water operations"? Is there a definition for "Over-water operations" in FAR 121?

I found the following on the FAA website:
A. Over-Water Operations. Title 14 CFR part 91 § 91.511 identifies the radio equipment that is required when operating over water more than 30 minutes flying time or 100 nautical miles (NM) from the nearest shore. Different from the extended over-water definition found in 14 CFR part 1, this term is applied to part 91 operations of large and turbine-powered multiengine airplanes.

B. Extended Over-Water Operations. Part 1 defines extended over-water operation for airplanes as an operation over water at a horizontal distance of more than 50 NM from the nearest shoreline and for helicopters as an operation over water at a horizontal distance of more than 50 NM from the nearest shoreline and more than 50 NM from an off-shore heliport structure. The definition applies to both part 121 and 135 operations.

Unfortunately there's the definition "Over-water operations" in the regulation similar to FAR 121 in my country besides "extended Over-water operations". It defines that "exceeding gliding distance from the nearest shoreline", "takeoff/approach track over water". Yet it's very complicated to calculate a gliding distance for a jet liner, isn't it?

bubbers44
11th Sep 2012, 05:32
We were required to stay within 50 miles of land if we didn't have life rafts. Going to Alaska we used our weather radar to do that if the Feds were onboard. I think one segment was NDB nav so we were close to 50 miles offshore. As you know it isn't that accurate for nav.

aviatorhi
11th Sep 2012, 08:20
509 and 511 both qualify/quantify their respective "definitions" of over-water operations.

GrayWing
19th Apr 2013, 23:23
I "grew up" in aviation being told that the 50 NM was used because that was the distance offshore a U.S. Coast Guard HH52 helicopter could fly out, conduct
rescue operations via hovering, and then proceed back to shore within it's fuel endurance.