PDA

View Full Version : converting military time to a PPL (FAA)

dwade
9th Sep 2012, 03:52
I had a former US Navy pilot with 700 hours come in and ask about getting a civilian license. She has been out of the service for 10 years. As I understand it she can't take the Military Competency Test because she hasn't been active within the last 12 months.

Can her military flight hours count as flight time towards her ratings? Does she have to take all practical and written tests? Can she test for a CPL or does she have to start with a PPL and work up? What about Instrument?

B2N2
13th Sep 2012, 15:45
Sorry, didn't notice your post earlier.
Contact your local FSDO for guidance.
MY idea (top of my head without looking stuff up) would be to start with PPL and work her way up.
She has been out of the service too long to be able to do any conversions.
I would think all of teh hours count so it is just training to proficiency since the requirements for PPL-IR-CPL will mostly be met.

LTCTerry
15th Sep 2012, 10:29
I believe the time limit is gone. A quick google search came up with numerous related sites.

I didn't see a time limit in the newest version of the FAR: Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 61.73 - Military pilots or former military pilots: Special rules. (http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part61-73-FAR.shtml)

Terry

MarkerInbound
15th Sep 2012, 18:05
I can't find the citation but as I recall the idea was since they would still need a BFR to become current, their lack of military currency did not matter.

Have your student take a look at Sheppard Air's online training for the Mil Comp test. They have a list of FAQs.