PDA

View Full Version : IR(E) Upgrade

belowradar
7th Sep 2012, 08:04
Can anyone advise as no response yet from CAA

Have read Lasors and I meet the requirements for Instrument Rating Examiner (Airplane), I hold PPL Flight Examiner authority and have been teaching and assessing IMC students, I would like to now teach and examine for IR rating.

I completed the Examiner course so all I need to do is add IR(E) qualification

Can anybody advise how this happens ? I am sure that I have passed and met all of the stated requirements as per Lasors.

S-Works
7th Sep 2012, 08:28
You need to hold a valid IR and IRI and then apply for a variation on your licence. You then attend a 4 day training course with an approved provider and there are only 2 in the UK, Andy Simmonds at Coventry and Anthony Mollison at Bournemouth. After that you then do a test with 2 CAA staff examiners. Once acts as the student, the other sits in the back and assesses.

When you say you have completed the Examiner course are you referring to having done the IRE examiner course or just your original PPL FE course? One does not carry over to the other unfortunately.

You will also be unlikely to be granted IRE directly, the normal format is that you are a CRE with IRRE and then if there is a need for another IRE you apply and 'upgrade'. The UK have always required that the initial IR test is done with a Staff IRE although that may change under EASA. There are a few industry examiners that the CAA calls on to do initial tests when they are short staffed. Other European countries are way more relaxed and allow industry examiners to do the initials routinely.

Having only being assessing IMCr stduents and not being involved in the teaching of IR students is unlikely to be enough to get you accepted. But in the brave new EASA world who knows!!!

Whopity
7th Sep 2012, 10:58
In the brave new European WorldFCL.1010.IRE IRE — Prerequisites
(a) IRE(A). Applicants for an IRE certificate for aeroplanes shall hold an IRI(A) and have completed:
(1) 2 000 hours of flight time as a pilot of aeroplanes; and
(2) 450 hours of flight time under IFR, of which 250 hours shall be as an instructor. I am told the cost of the Course and Test in the UK is not going to leave much change out of £5000.

S-Works
7th Sep 2012, 11:39
It wasn't less than that before, we paid £3600 for the course and the the CAA test fee of £1650.

belowradar
8th Sep 2012, 13:33
Whoppity and BoseX

Thanks for your replies

It looks like a real moneyspinner for CAA so I won't be bothering but thanks for explaining the OTT courses and costs

EASA looks like it has delegated power back to CAA and training monopolies

Whopity
8th Sep 2012, 19:55
Generally speaking IREs are sponsored by their employers, very few self sponsor for obvious reasons.