PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating

Evilbob
6th Sep 2012, 09:54
Hi All,

Not the usual query regarding VFR/IFR at night but a question regarding pre entry requirements.

I have looked through CAP 804 and can't find any reference to the pre-entry requirements for the night rating.

LASORS states that under JAR-FCL the minimum experience to begin training for the night qualification is 25 hours dual, 10 solo to include 5 cross country and the QXC. I also presume that this was a UK rule because I couldn't find reference to minimum experience in JAR-FCL either!

So, have I missed something, or have the authorities removed/forgotten (cut, paste Part FCL into CAP 804) the previous requirement?

Whopity
6th Sep 2012, 11:02
JAR-FCL 1.125:(c) Night qualification. If the privileges of
the licence are to be exercised at night, at least
five additional hours flight time in aeroplanes
shall be completed at night comprising 3 hours
of dual instruction including at least 1 hour of
cross-country navigation and five solo take-offs
and five solo full-stop landings. This qualification
will be endorsed on the licence.Part FCL:FCL.810 Night rating
(a) Aeroplanes, TMGs, airships.
(1) If the privileges of an LAPL or a PPL for aeroplanes, TMGs or airships are to be exercised in VFR conditions at night, applicants shall have completed a training course at an ATO. The course shall comprise:
(i) theoretical knowledge instruction;
(ii) at least 5 hours of flight time in the appropriate aircraft category at night, including at least 3 hours of dual instruction, including at least 1 hour of cross-country navigation with at least one dual cross-country flight of at least 50 km and 5 solo take-offs and 5 solo full-stop landings.
(2) Before completing the training at night, LAPL holders shall have completed the basic instrument flight training required for the issue of the PPL.
(3) When applicants hold both a single-engine piston aeroplane (land) and a TMG class rating, they may complete the requirements in (1) above in either class or both classes.I have only included the aeroplane part.

MrAverage
6th Sep 2012, 11:25
Interesting. So Bloggs A comes to me after 17th of this month with a JAR licence and I can do a Night Rating at an RTF, but if Bloggs B comes with an EASA licence I can only do it at an ATO - or do all Night Ratings have to be done at an ATO after the 17th?

Whopity
6th Sep 2012, 11:31
If you read IN-2012/112 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_IN-2012_112-Info%20for%20independent%20flying%20instructorsv2.pdf)
para 2.4 it states: it should be noted that the continuation of training in Registered Facilities is confined to their pre-existing activities! Therefore; night qualification/ratings should be possible until April 2015 unchanged.
JAR licences don't exist any more, they are no longer in the ANO and are now EASA licences.

Evilbob
6th Sep 2012, 16:34
Many thanks, Whopity. The paragraphs you have quoted were all I was able to find and I didn't think I had missed anything, but apparently I had.

The 'Applicability' at the top of the additional ratings section states:

1 Applicability

The holder of an EASA pilots licence may extend the privileges of their licence with additional ratings as listed below.

Which would suggest that student pilots can no longer complete the night rating before licence issue.

Thanks for the assistance :ok:

Whopity
6th Sep 2012, 21:12
Which would suggest that student pilots can no longer complete the night rating before licence issue. One might think that but on inspection of AMC1 FCL.210.A the PPL(A) syllabus makes no mention of any night exercises whereas AMC1 FCL.210.H the PPL(H) syllabus includes night flying exercises with a proviso that says "if night rating required"
More evidence of the the incompetence of the rule maker.