PDA

View Full Version : Interesting UK GA Airfields?

Matty Cooper
3rd Sep 2012, 21:07
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me the names of a few airfields around the UK that are worth visiting during CPL hour building?

Generally just looking for airfields that are difficult to fly into due to surrounding terrain, runway slope, short runway etc.. Or airfields that are situated in scenic places!

Last and most importantly, I'm looking for airfields with good cafes!!

I fly the Cessna 150 and soon the Grob 115, so no microlight fields please :)

Blink182
3rd Sep 2012, 22:00
In no particular order.........

for the scenery ........ Lands End, Perranporth, St Marys Isles of Scilly, Alderney, Welshpool, Caernarfon , Glenforsa, Oban ,Plockton

For the ambience of rural airfields.... Popham, Headcorn

Dct_Mopas
3rd Sep 2012, 22:26
If ever passing between lancashire and yorkshire try stopping off at crossland moor (huddersfield) Quite a steep slope and good fun. Sherburn in elmet, Sleap and caernarfon were always my favourites for a day out and food.

mad_jock
3rd Sep 2012, 22:41
up north

Do an island tour, Orkney is spectacular.

Dornock is worth a visit on the way back down south.

robin
3rd Sep 2012, 22:44
Last and most importantly, I'm looking for airfields with good cafes!!

In no particular order:

Pembrey (w/e), Haverfordwest, Caernafon, Gloucester, Kemble, Dunkeswell, Goodwood, Compton Abbas, Old Sarum.

Tinstaafl
3rd Sep 2012, 22:45
Even further north: Fair Isle, Foula, Unst, Papa Stour & Out Skerries. You'll certainly get some short or interesting strips out of some of those. No cafes on the fields but then nowhere is far away on those islands.

1.3VStall
4th Sep 2012, 08:08
For good cafes try Caenarfon, Shobdon, Sleap and Wellesbourne.;)

phiggsbroadband
4th Sep 2012, 10:11
Huddesfield (International.) is really quirky, with half grass - half tarmac runway, with a good down slope on the tarmac bit. Honesty box for the landing fee and a 3kW kettle for the tea making... Maybe need to bring your own water, if they havn't done the plumbing yet.
Unique weather measurement system !

Pete

pulse1
4th Sep 2012, 10:20
On a suitable weekday, how about dropping in at Compton Abbas for breakfast and to pickup a supply of cakes. Use the cakes to bribe the ATC at Yeovil to let you land there with, possibly, a practice NDB approach. Then on down to Dunkeswell for a good lunch.

fisbangwollop
4th Sep 2012, 10:38
MJ..Dornock is worth a visit Or you could even try Dornoch.:cool:

jayteeto
4th Sep 2012, 12:42
As a gentleman with a 'fuller figure', I would recommend Sleap and Caernarfon 100%. Tatenhill cafe was being renovated recently, a damn good breakfast there at weekends. Welshpool is a tricky little strip to land on in certain weather conditions. Oban has its own politics, but is a super airfield to fly to on a nice day, check the weather actual, not just the forecast!! Carlisle does a particularly good cumberland sausage butty as well...... I am getting hungry now..............:)

Matty Cooper
4th Sep 2012, 16:20
Thanks for the replies, I fly from Barton Aerodrome so Crossland Moor is only a short hop away!

And I visited Sleap on my QXC for the cafe!!

Will give the others a try!

Gene Genie
4th Sep 2012, 18:34
Matty

Netherthorpe is challenging, get a good brief first and if up north then perhaps try Easterton; very challenging and a friendly crowd.

Good luck

Gene

DavidWoodward
4th Sep 2012, 19:22
Thanks for the replies, I fly from Barton Aerodrome so Crossland Moor is only a short hop away!

And I visited Sleap on my QXC for the cafe!!

Will give the others a try!

Matty,

I was about to recommend Barton as I'm based there. As said, Caernarfon is a good bite as well as Sleap. Last time I went to Shobdon the cafe was a bit short on supplies but they still managed to whip up a good sandwich for me. My next stop will be Tatenhill as that's meant to be quite good.

maxred
4th Sep 2012, 19:26
Dornock

Beat me to it, FBW.

You would also need to be in something "light"

750XL
4th Sep 2012, 20:24
Cark Airfield in the South Lakes, near Grange-over-Sands. Skydiving site with a short-ish pothole filled runway but run by a great group of people with a decent cafe on site :ok:

trevs99uk
5th Sep 2012, 12:58
NAYLAND in Essex

Land up the hill and take of the opposite way..

Captain Capstan
5th Sep 2012, 14:38
Was at Shobdon a few weeks ago and had a very good all day breakfast. Halfpenny Green also worth a visit good cafe and friendly air traffic.

Matty Cooper
5th Sep 2012, 15:15
Matty,

I was about to recommend Barton as I'm based there. As said, Caernarfon is a good bite as well as Sleap. Last time I went to Shobdon the cafe was a bit short on supplies but they still managed to whip up a good sandwich for me. My next stop will be Tatenhill as that's meant to be quite good.

Hi David, which aircraft do you fly at Barton?

Was at Shobdon a few weeks ago and had a very good all day breakfast. Halfpenny Green also worth a visit good cafe and friendly air traffic.

1/2P Green was the other airfield I went to on my QXC, great friendly air traffic there!

taxistaxing
5th Sep 2012, 15:23
In no particular order, if you're in the South East think about the following:

Cromer/Northreppes (north Nofolk) - short runway, can be tricky to spot;

Bembridge, IOW (windshear on approach, and frequently crosswinds);

Clacton - short runway aligned North to South, so frequent crosswinds. Also a public footpath crosses the runway meaning you may have to go-around for dog walkers :}. I've scared myself here - be careful.

Popham - dog-leg approach on one of the runways, and rough/narrow runways.

Headcorn - not particularly difficult but a lovely place to be. Lots going on there - including parachutes and vintage aircraft.

Stapleford. Busy training field with a very congested circuit and a half tarmac/half grass runway which is on the bumpy side. Worth a go.

Stowe Marie in Essex - very much an 'aerodrome' in the traditional sense. Basically just a mown field and a WW1 museum. You will need PPR here.

And as a curve ball - Lydd in Kent. Not 'difficult' but challenging to spot, full ATC (but reasonable landing fee) and the danger areas for dungeness power station close by which makes for a challenging approach.

ShyTorque
5th Sep 2012, 16:12
You mentioned an interest in short runways. Tried Netherthorpe yet?

Very good food, too (n.b. cafe's closed on Mondays).

tmmorris
7th Sep 2012, 09:15
Stow Maries is for sale in the Sept issue of Flyer...

Tim

cumbrianboy
6th Oct 2012, 16:50
Hi I need to travel to the lakes to sell a house and flying up would be ideal, does anyone have any info on Cark and a link/phone number as I can't find much on google?

Thanks.

CB

750XL
6th Oct 2012, 17:39
Hi I need to travel to the lakes to sell a house and flying up would be ideal, does anyone have any info on Cark and a link/phone number as I can't find much on google?

Thanks.

CB

Skydive North West - The place to skydive in the north west - Welcome (http://www.skydivenorthwest.co.uk/)

Tel: 015395 58672 Fax: 01772 787106
Address: Cark Airfield, Flookburgh, Grange Over Sands, CUMBRIA, LA11 7LS

cumbrianboy
6th Oct 2012, 17:46
Thanksv750, just mailed them now.

CB

phiggsbroadband
6th Oct 2012, 19:18
Hi All, For a 'hive of activity', Cark on a weekend is worth a visit, with loads of guys preparing to exit a turbo-prop aircraft at 14,000ft.

However to get away from it, I have been looking for some 'Park and Ride' airfields, where you fly there early in the day, Park-up and then take a taxi or bus to the nearest town. These include Swansea, Skegness, Clacton and Sandown, also North Coates, (for the walk across the dunes to the North Sea.).

Pete

flybymike
6th Oct 2012, 23:48
I have never yet managed to get to the sea from North Coates. Too much marshy ground en route!

Airlinepilot1687
7th Oct 2012, 09:12
Hi I would reccomend kirkbride, lovely little field £10 landing I think this includes 7 touch and goes. :8 if the wind is out of x wind limits Carlisle is not too far to the east and has a really nice cafe. :ok:

englishal
7th Oct 2012, 09:57
Well you are building hrs so you might as well do some decent hops.. How about:

The Scilly Isles will challenge you and is beautiful
Then stop at Lands End
Perranporth with a lovely approach over the cliffs
Dunkerswell as the Bacon, Brie and Cranberry sandwich is amazing
Compton Abbas is beautiful scenery and great food
Then back via Caernarfon

That would be the best part of 4 hrs flying in a 152, plus stopping and a great day out.

phiggsbroadband
7th Oct 2012, 12:54
Hi Flybymike, we went to North Coates in mid summer when the ground was solid. There is a large ditch to cross, but someone had made a wonky bridge with some planks. I think it was 60 yards north of the hedge line. The top of the ditch-bank is the coastal path.
Donna Nook was active with bombing practice, but they co-ordinated us both in and out of the circuit with no delay.

Pete

brunodias
7th Oct 2012, 17:39
every country should have a site like this

Aerodromos em Portugal (http://roteiro.apau.org/zmapa.html)

flybymike
7th Oct 2012, 17:46
Hi Flybymike, we went to North Coates in mid summer when the ground was solid. There is a large ditch to cross, but someone had made a wonky bridge with some planks. I think it was 60 yards north of the hedge line. The top of the ditch-bank is the coastal path.
Donna Nook was active with bombing practice, but they co-ordinated us both in and out of the circuit with no delay.

Thanks for that. I'm familiar with the ditch bank coastal path but have never managed to get as far as the water's edge. I'll keep a look out for this here wonky bridge next time I'm there though!

Flyingmac
7th Oct 2012, 18:59
Weybourne. With its excellent tank museum and good cafe.
Approach over the sea and land uphill.

New York, in the Coningsby MATZ. (Just to log it).

Fishburn, for the slope and Beryl's butties.

Gigha, for the sheep sh.....

Glenforsa, because it's nice.

Ashcroft:rolleyes:

Jan Olieslagers
7th Oct 2012, 19:54
every country should have a site like this

actually most countries do
that is to say, in western europe at least
north america too i should expect.

tmmorris
26th Dec 2012, 15:10
Weybourne. With its excellent tank museum and good cafe.
Approach over the sea and land uphill.

Wish someone had told me that before my first (and so far only) visit. Landed into wind only to find the runway disappearing away from me. Tried again and nailed the short field speed, landed just OK and only then noticed the slope.

Got away with it...

Anyone know if the Tatenhill cafe is open on Mondays?

Tim

studentaviator
26th Dec 2012, 15:23
Perranporth, Dunkeswell & Compton Abbas are a handful that I can think of. They are scenic & interesting. Oh and Compton Abbas has great food!

If you want a longer, very interesting flight, St Mary's on the Silly Isles is great! The approach is rather fun!

:)

Studentaviator

Lokki
26th Dec 2012, 20:04
Tim

Yes it is opened on Mondays. Though I wouldnt fly in purely for the food !!

It's a lovely airfield though..

tmmorris
27th Dec 2012, 08:17
Lokki,

Thanks, last time I went I was lucky to get a cup of instant coffee... Five years ago though. What sort of thing do they do - can I get decent coffee/cake or even a sandwich?

Tim

Echo Romeo
27th Dec 2012, 08:59

Dog-leg approach, yes, but rough narrow runways :* Don't think so, unless you're only used to a 1000mts of tarmac.

Pittsextra
27th Dec 2012, 09:09
Anyone been into the strip at Scotland Farm in Hook? The wires must make it exciting!??

LysanderV8
27th Dec 2012, 09:41
East Kirkby. Good food, excellent museum with Lancaster Just Jane, and good practice routing through the MATZ from Barton.

taxistaxing
27th Dec 2012, 09:53
Dog-leg approach, yes, but rough narrow runways http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/bah.gif Don't think so, unless you're only used to a 1000mts of tarmac.

To quote from Popham's own website:

"Runway 21 (right hand circuit 800ft QFE)
Long, narrow, and a steady up slope, sometimes boggy at the threshold end in winter but altogether smoother than 08/26.

The general aircraft manoeuvring area is very poor in parts,"

So yes the runways are narrow, and not the smoothest. Quite a lot of PPLs fly from 1000m+ of tarmac! So as well for them to be aware.

No disrespect intended to Popham but for someone at/around my level of experience, as the OP is, it is definitely more challenging than the standard grass field.

Echo Romeo
27th Dec 2012, 10:15
Umm, okay I have no vested interest in Popham, but if 900x25mt grass runways don't constitute a 'standard grass field' I don't know what does!

But that's just my opinion, sorry.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
27th Dec 2012, 11:08
Aboyne. Now that IS narrow!:E

thing
27th Dec 2012, 16:41
You get a cup of tea and a cake with your landing fee at Sandtoft. Haven't scanned what everyone else has put but if it's park and ride you want Cambridge has park and ride just outside the airfield. Bit dear to land at Cambridge (£25 last time I went) but worth going early to have a full day in Cambridge.

Good caffs at Sherburn, Fenland, Leicester, White Waltham, Sandtoft, Breighton at weekends.

Also Cosford aerospace museum is worth a visit, very good caff/restuarant there, don't know what the score is for 'civvy' aircraft flying in there though.

Elvington museum is excellent and has a good restaurant. You def need PPR there as they have events on the runway.

Sleap I have been told is very good and has some sort of aircraft wreck museum there open at weekends.

Steelgrey377
15th Aug 2013, 16:57
Derby is often overlooked as a challenging flight venue but look at the numbers! I have seen quite a few come in a little "hot" and then go around (which should be done early due to the obstructions especially on warm windless days). :eek:

Maybe its because I learnt at Tollerton, but tail wheel and short stripping is a very rewarding set of skills. Paul Jones and his Cessna 140 are being a fun combo to learn with. No café but a cup of tea and some rewarding conversation with proper aero nuts is usually on offer... :ok:

28/10 is short and has wires in 28 approach and trees on 10. 23 is longer but has taller trees on approach. I have landed on 17 (unlicensed) which has power lines on approach, still a Piper Pacer has a suitable sink rate power off!

SG, :D

Straighten Up
17th Nov 2013, 14:07
Hi Matty,

Just wondering which you chose in the end. I'm planning on doing a coastal circuit clockwise from the south east in the summer, and am thinking:

Lands End/St Mary's - Caernarfon - Belfast/IOM - Skye/benbecula/barra?? - Kirkwall/Dornoch (shame twatt is closed, that would be good for the logbook!) - Skegness/New York - Stapleford (home airfield)

Any thought appreciated.

Phororhacos
17th Nov 2013, 18:18
I had a lot of fun doing this...

FLYER Forums ? View topic - Shoreham to Shoreham via Scotland (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84220)

Matty Cooper
17th Nov 2013, 19:34
Finished the hour building back in June, took 8 months in all to reach the 100 hours P1, not as fast as I would've liked, but bearing in mind 4 weeks of those 8 months my airfield was closed due to water logging in December!

The airfields I visited in order are:
Liverpool, Tatenhill, Caernarfon, Sandtoft, Sherburn, Campbeltown, BAE Warton, White Waltham, Kemble, Carlisle, Leicester, Wellesbourne, Shobdon, Welshpool, Bodmin, Perranporth, Crossland Moor, Gloucester, Shoreham, Headcorn/Lashenden, Coventry, Oxford, Haverfordwest, Manchester International(only for a low app/ILS), Cumbernauld, RAF Mona, Newtownards, Gamston, Sturgate, Netherthorpe and Leeds-Bradford.

Memorable trips being:
-Coventry - Where I met Buffalo Joe of Ice Pilots sat down for lunch with him, then he showed us around the hangars at Coventry and around the aircraft.
-Bodmin/Perranporth - Where I had gin clear weather all the way down from manchester to the tip of Cornwall.
-Midlands tour - Where I landed away at Leicester, Wellesbourne, Shobdon and Welshpool all in one day.
-Newtownards - As it was my first water crossing.

Best cafes (in order):
White Waltham, Leeds and then Gloucester.

If anyone is interested I have a few videos on my youtube channel from some of the trips - mikecharlie794 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/mikecharlie794)

Currently not long into my studying with Bristol now for my ATPL theory, thanks for all the suggestions of airfields to visit, hope these give someone else a few ideas of where to go!

FlexJinx
8th Mar 2018, 23:22
Well here I am in 2018 reading a post that was last commented on in 2013. Thought it was a great read finding out about interesting airfields to visit. I now have my license and planning to visit some of those mentioned. One that looks interesting in Lockyears is Vallance by-ways which is on my list for this year.

Does anyone know of a maintained list of the best airfields to visit? Shame this thread went quiet

trevs99uk
9th Mar 2018, 10:04
nice website for small airstrips..

Airfield Cards (http://www.airfieldcards.com)

chevvron
9th Mar 2018, 17:39
Even further north: Fair Isle, Foula, Unst, Papa Stour & Out Skerries. You'll certainly get some short or interesting strips out of some of those. No cafes on the fields but then nowhere is far away on those islands.

I wouldn't advise taking anything but an Islander or similar into Foula; have you seen what the runway surface is like?

flyems
11th Mar 2018, 17:54
Have been to Roserrow a couple of times, treasure writing those landings in the logbook. Talk to someone that's been there before, the chart is deceptive, but a wonderful visit!

https://www.thepointatpolzeath.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Airfield.jpg

Blink182
11th Mar 2018, 21:36
+ 1 for Roserrow.

Lovely spot and having on-site facilities ideal for Flamping. We stayed a couple of nights last July . The road crossing the strip is higher than the strip by about 10 to 12 inches so it would not be a good idea to cross it above taxy speed. Also any road traffic should stop before crossing but we noticed that many people don't bother to stop or indeed look for aircraft.

flyinkiwi
11th Mar 2018, 21:36
Hi I would reccomend kirkbride, lovely little field £10 landing I think this includes 7 touch and goes. :ok:

Watch out for the big hole in the runway just east of the intersection. One of the few times my tendency to land left of centre was a good thing. :ok:

Jim59
11th Mar 2018, 22:46
The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden is an excellent museum for aviators with the adjoining Swiss Garden for passengers more interested in the finer things in life. Restaurant on site. Shuttleworth | The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden Aerodrome, the Swiss Garden - a great visitor attraction! (http://www.shuttleworth.org/)

If you plan ahead you can even get married whilst you're there!

thing
12th Mar 2018, 09:27
+1 for Shuttleworth, one of my favourite fly to destinations. I'll also put a shout in for Fadmoor, just north of Kirkbymoorside in N. Yorks. An interesting farm strip with very steep gradients, it's in Pooleys. About a 20 minute walk to the Royal Oak at Fadmoor.

Flyingmac
12th Mar 2018, 14:14
Good luck with Valance. If it's still open. I have an acquaintance who took a PA32 in there. He didn't take it back out.

This guy did better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stAWFL7ydZk

thing
12th Mar 2018, 17:16
'Is this on film? Including the commentary?' :) Priceless.

Maoraigh1
12th Mar 2018, 20:06
The "Airfield Cards" link in post51 got a Norton warning as a "known malicious malware site".

Jan Olieslagers
13th Mar 2018, 07:21
Thanks for the warning, @Maoraigh, but I do not think it is serious. I have been visiting this site for at least two years, both from home and from work, never got a warning, and never came to harm (that I am aware of). And at least at work the PC's are well defended.

FlexJinx
29th Apr 2018, 07:01
Flew in to Weybourne last weekend. That was quite a challenge with the odd shaped runway profile. First attempt didn't go so well and I was exposed to the turbulence over the hill at the end while climbing back out. Pretty interesting final over the sea and anti aircraft guns! Took off down hill with the wind behind me, which was rather fast - never again. Next stop was Cromer which was easy, nice cafe.

tmmorris
29th Apr 2018, 18:33
My first attempt at Weybourne was interesting too, I misjudged the slope and tried to land downhill. Wondered why I seemed to be floating forever.

150 Driver
29th Apr 2018, 18:50
I love Weybourne, been in three times with my C150. First time I completely stuffed up the departure (up hill towards the hill), despite the headwind it was a sweaty palm moment. I learned from that - the other twice I landed uphill, took off downhill. The added benefit is flying over the anti aircraft guns.

Not a strip for the faint hearted or those who aren't used to STOL and grass.

surely not
30th Apr 2018, 16:14
I was passenger in to Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome in Aug 2016 and it was a very worthwhile visit. We visited in a Reims FR172 and it coped easily with the runway. According to their website it is closed to visiting aeroplanes at the moment, which I think is due to weather and the immense amount of rain we have had, but they hope to have good news soon.
The Cafe provides very good cafe grub, and you are sitting inside an old WW1 building. The museum is very good and we were able to wander around the hangars.
Well worth a visit

horatio_b
30th Apr 2018, 18:34
There is currently a limit of 350 movements a year at Stow Maries. There is a planning application to increase this to 4,200 movements per year but this is strongly opposed by some residents

https://www.essexlive.news/news/residents-oppose-plans-increase-flight-1114060

MarcusH
1st May 2018, 12:56
This is a dream. Having to increase your hours is a wonderful opportunity, many of us would love your problem.
Think further afield, yes the Hebrides are wonderful. But why not go a little further to Ireland. GA is quiet, the skies are yours. The food is superb, particularly around Sligo Kerry, Cork and of course Dublin.
Other opportunities would be to head over to the continent. Stopping for cheap fuel on the Channel Islands. France and Spain offer great places to fly to. Whatever you do enjoy this wonderful opportunity that you have.

surely not
1st May 2018, 13:16
As with all things to do with aviation Horatio B, I believe there are a few objectors making a lot of noise but most locals are fairly ambivalent towards the increase.