PDA

View Full Version : An update for anyone who may be interested :)

Lizz
1st Sep 2012, 09:11
I've just booked my trial lesson. You may remember I started a longish thread on here a few weeks ago, well I've finally done and booked it and weather permitting I'll be going on the 15th of this month!

Very very excited :O:O:O

Sir George Cayley
1st Sep 2012, 11:15
Even after 40 years I can still remember my trial lesson. It was beyond expectations and responsible for me spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on all things aviation.

But a word of caution; don't get your expectations of actually getting airborne on the appointed day. Our weather has a nasty habit of spoiling things at the last minute.

That's why a PPL gained in this country is as much about stubborn perseverance as it about mastering a new skill.

Once that penny dropped I started booking more slots than I needed to account for wx.

Keep it coming though, we'll all be routing for you:ok:

SGC

Jan Olieslagers
1st Sep 2012, 14:27
Well done and I wish you all the best: the first step on a hopefully long and happy flying career.

You would have done well, though, to choose a clearer title, like "Trial lesson booked" or "My first step off the ground", titles are supposed to tell what something is about...

Best of luck, and do enjoy! Do not forget to report how it went!

stickandrudderman
1st Sep 2012, 19:35
Go for it Lizz and do tell us how you got on.:D

Miken100
1st Sep 2012, 20:03
Go for it.... enjoy it... and prepare to be hooked!!

Lizz
2nd Sep 2012, 09:44
Jan you are quite right, I have edited accordingly :)

Thank you guys, I will definitely update as to how it goes! I actually drove over Barton bridge yesterday and saw someone flying in, I got stupidly excited then!!!

I've been told to ring on the day before I go down to check the weather to avoid not getting airborne and I've noted the terms and conditions that if that happens I'm allowed to rebook so all is well :)

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Sep 2012, 09:48
Well, you did your best, and thanks for that. You did not change the title under which the thread shows in the index, though, only an admin can do that. It has been done for me, when I had made a worse fool of myself. I do not think it worth its while here, those admins have better things to do I suppose.
Looking forward to reading you again!

b2vulcan
2nd Sep 2012, 10:05
What Miken100 said Lizz :)

I learn out of Liverpool but have flown out of Barton once in a Robin, only as a sort of FO;)

An interesting field to learn at.

Hope the weather is good for you.

thing
2nd Sep 2012, 10:05
Good luck Lizz, oddly enough all student pilots can't wait to get the brown wallet when actually your flying training is some of the best flying you will do, so relax and enjoy!

Grob Queen
2nd Sep 2012, 12:41
Go for it Lizz and enjoy it. Flying is like a drug, once you've started, you're hooked!:) Be prepared for a lot of hard (but worthwhile) study.

What a great day to take your first flight in a light aircraft...Battle of Britain Day! :):)

P.Pilcher
2nd Sep 2012, 21:25
I can't agree with GrobQueen more: In my case it was in 1970 that I was getting used to my firat research job having recently graduated. I was drinking after hours in the back bar of my local and wondering if there was anything more in life than work and drinking beer. On that evening I was chatting to the landlord - a qualified flying instructor and told him that I was thinking of learning to fly. "I am warning you," he said: "It's like a drug - once you have caught it it will never let you go." He was of course quite right: PPL preceded IMC then Night rating then QFI, then CPL, I.R. and finally ATPL. I have retired now due to illness, but it gave me a very fulfilled lifetime and eventually it even became a job much better than the teaching I found myself doing. If I state that the pub is called the White Lion, not far from EGBB then quite a few readers will know who I am talking about!

P.P.

Asrian
2nd Sep 2012, 21:36
Enjoy Your flight and good luck with the weather!
And beware of catching "the virus"! ;)

madflyer26
3rd Sep 2012, 11:37
Lizz,

Best of luck with your flying career professional or otherwise. It is a labour of love but worth it in the end.

Regards MF26