PDA

View Full Version : Instructing a foreign licence holder

nick14
30th Aug 2012, 13:01
I hold an IAA JAR licence, can I instruct another JAR licence holder if their state of issue is different from my own?

Will the same scenario change if there are differing states of issue of EASA licence?

Cheers

Whopity
30th Aug 2012, 14:04
Surely that is the whole point of it! Common standards of licences and ratings throughout Europe. Whilst the answer is Yes, I am sure there are States who will say Non!

All training under EASA will have to be conducted at an ATO so really its only the school who will need to be concerned; as an Instructor you will have to work for an ATO.

nick14
30th Aug 2012, 14:41
I hope so,

My local club doesnt have an aeros instructor and I was hoping I could fill in.

The only question I have is with the introduction of an aeros rating how will they change the requirements to instruct for it?

Whopity
30th Aug 2012, 16:07
Under EASA if you have an Aeros rating plus either an FI or CRI rating you will be able to instruct for it. This is not scheduled to start until 2015 so there will be various mixtures of National qualifications remaining until then. There is no JAA Aeros rating and I have come across some instructors who have experienced problems with one State not accepting another State's National qualifications and even JAA qualifications. Before you start, I think you should check with the authorities in the State that issued the pilots licence because it is a real mess in this area.

ifitaintboeing
30th Aug 2012, 17:39
Under EASA if you have an Aeros rating plus either an FI or CRI rating you will be able to instruct for it.

It's not quite as simple as that. In order to instruct for the Aerobatic Rating, an instructor must have been assessed as competent in this activity by a FIC Instructor. The reference is in EASA Part FCL:

FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditions

The privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:

(f) a towing or aerobatic rating, provided that such privileges are held and the FI has demonstrated the ability to instruct for that rating to an FI qualified in accordance with (i) below;

An "FI qualified in accordance with (i) below" referred to above is the equivalent of an FIC Instructor (in the UK).

ifitaint

Whopity
1st Sep 2012, 18:01
Not a lot different from the current system except that there is no requirement for any specific training and under Part FCL anyone with 500 hours instructing can become an FIC instructor just by passing an assessment with an FIE from any State, so long as they have paid the £650 briefing fee!