PDA

View Full Version : Lost logbook and medical certificate

maximus610
28th Aug 2012, 16:48
Lost my logbook and FAA medical certificate cl 1 (valid 1 year more).
Still have a photocopy of medical and online logbook records till PPL check ride.
Also have a valid jaa medical 1 (german issue).
Am I allowed to fly with a photocopy N-regs over Germany?
Any tips for quick paper recovery appreciate.
Thanks
Mxms

Pittsextra
28th Aug 2012, 16:54
Just fly in the US they don't care how many hours you got..

S-Works
28th Aug 2012, 17:11
No you are not. You must physically be in possession of the required documents. Copies are not enough.

Speedbird48
28th Aug 2012, 23:07
You either have the certificate in your possesion or a faxed copy from the FAA in Oklahoma City.

The faxed copy will show the FAA fax number etc at the top.

No other copies allowed.

For medical you need the actual document.

As for log book you are required to show evidence of recency, bienial etc. you do not have to log every hour. Which is how so many non professional certificate holders seem to get so many hours!!!

Speedbird 48.

172driver
29th Aug 2012, 07:44
For medical you need the actual document

Nope. You can get a faxed certificate that you have a medical (not a copy of the medical) from the FAA in Oklahoma City. This document acts as 'proof of medical'.

Happened to me once - arrived in the US and realized I had left the medical in the UK. A couple of phone calls later I had the above doc and was good to go.

Btw, the friendly lady at the FAA advised strongly against simply doing another medical (I only needed a third class and thought this might be the quicker way of dealing with the situation), as - in her words - this would 'raise red flags' with the FAA medical division; mine was at the time still valid for about a year.

patowalker
29th Aug 2012, 08:44
You can do it on-line.

Airmen Certification - Airmen On-Line Services (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/)

Select "Request Temporary Authority to Execise Certificate Privileges"

JW411
29th Aug 2012, 10:51
Thirty years ago I was returning from doing an FAA DC-10 course in the USA. I had all of my logbooks with me and the airline lost my bags. All my records of 25 years of flying vanished into thin air and it was a horrible feeling.

The bags turned up six weeks later to my huge relief. Ever since, I have kept two log books and have photocopied everything else like medical certificates etc. It is a pain in the backside but I never ever want to go through that experience again.